[NatureNS] insect repellents US review

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 14:42:07 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

/*
--001a113fef684af6b10556ba3091

I know this goes against the grain, but have any of you tried...nothing at
all?

I realize that there are a very few circumstances where one must go into
mosquito-ridden areas. However, when disease transmission is effectively
nil (as in NS), can you just not tolerate a few bites? I am now 20 years
without using repellent, not even once, not on my clothes...nothing.
Seriously, mosquito bites are itchy for a little bit, then no issue.

I really think bug repellent companies have turned this into a much bigger
issue than it really is, and most people think they *need* repellent.

I also do not use mosquito jackets...the hoods have some redeeming value,
but the jackets allow *more* access to your skin than if you just wore a
light shirt...the weave of jackets is so loose that the proboscis of the
mosquitoes has much less trouble getting through when compared with the
tighter weave of shirts.

I also understand that some people are apparently more attractive to biting
flies than other people. However, I also think that like driving
(impossibly, we can't all be "better than the average driver"), there are a
lot of people which think that "mosquitoes just love me more than anyone
else"

I do support the use of a repellent for ticks or biting insects, *if* you
live in an area where disease-carrying critters are a problem.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 14 August 2017 at 13:34, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:

> The latest (Sept 2017, page 17) print issue of US-based Consumer Reports
> briefly evaluates 24 bug repellents, aimed at mosquitoes but saying that
> their tests showed that they appeared also to repel ticks.  The scores
> range from 95 (tops), down to 4 (poor).  Six of the top 9 top recommended
> brands contain only DEET, 2 contain picaridin, and 1 contains Oil of lemo=
> eucalyptus.   These are US-based products, unclear if all/any available i=
> Canada.   The report can be reviewed without a subscription at
> CR.org/repellents0917
> access to which is a bit clunky but worked for me on checking it out.  Th=
> CR review doesn=E2=80=99t mention Piactive or icaridin, probably because =
the
> primary focus was on mosquito repellents.  The review comes down on
> plant-based =E2=80=98botanicals=E2=80=99, which it says are not EPA regis=
tered and which
> they say they found ineffective.
> Steve (Hfx)
>
> On Aug 8, 2017, at 7:03 PM, David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>
> When I am in the "right place at the right time" to get black-legged
> ticks, especially the nymphs,  I use a combination of light coloured (so =
> can see ticks),  pyrethroid-treated clothing and a personal insecticide
> with pyrethrin or pyrethroids (synthetic analogues of pyrethrin) to ward
> them off.
>
> This summer I began using the Piactive product.  I was walking some
> clearcuts in early July with a colleague who had sprayed exposed skin but
> had untreated clothing. Walking the same route, he picked up 5 black-legg=
ed
> ticks, I picked up none.
>
> The Piactive product (which contains icaridin, a pyrethroid) is said to b=
> good for 12 hours; it doesn't smell bad like Deet, nor does it dissolve
> some synthetic clothing as Deet does.
>
> Regardless of whether I have been wearing treated clothing & using the
> personal insecticide I am always on the lookout for ticks on my skin when=
> shower.
>
> So far so good.
>
> View
> versicolor.ca/noticks
> for some of my sources.
>
> David G Patriquin
>

> ------------------------------

Luck?

--001a113fef684af6b10556ba3091

w circumstances where one must go into mosquito-ridden areas. However, when=
 disease transmission is effectively nil (as in NS), can you just not toler=
ate a few bites? I am now 20 years without using repellent, not even once, =
not on my clothes...nothing. Seriously, mosquito bites are itchy for a litt=
t companies have turned this into a much bigger issue than it really is, an=
do not use mosquito jackets...the hoods have some redeeming value, but the =
jackets allow *more* access to your skin than if you just wore a light shir=
t...the weave of jackets is so loose that the proboscis of the mosquitoes h=
as much less trouble getting through when compared with the tighter weave o=
pparently more attractive to biting flies than other people. However, I als=
o think that like driving (impossibly, we can&#39;t all be &quot;better tha=
n the average driver&quot;), there are a lot of people which think that &qu=
you live in an area where disease-carrying critters are a problem.</div><di=
ll"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">=