[NatureNS] insect repellents US review

From: Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 22:27:54 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1134e13e55e4eb0556c0b007

I had the small mosquitoes in Guysborough county this summer, enough to be
annoying. But only a few deerflies, hardly any blackflies and a complete
absence of biting midges/no-see-ums. My cottage is near a lake and a fast
running brook. I saw no ticks but the odd one has been reported around the
cabin. I only occasionally used repellent for the mosquitoes.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Henk Kwindt <cbatl@bellaliant.net> wrote:

> [...]
> tighter weave of shirts.
>
> I also understand that some people are apparently more attractive to
> biting flies than other people. However, I also think that like driving
> (impossibly, we can't all be "better than the average driver"), there are=
> lot of people which think that "mosquitoes just love me more than anyone
> else"
>
> I do support the use of a repellent for ticks or biting insects, *if* you
> live in an area where disease-carrying critters are a problem.
>
> Randy
>
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.
>
> On 14 August 2017 at 13:34, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:
>
>> The latest (Sept 2017, page 17) print issue of US-based Consumer Reports
>> briefly evaluates 24 bug repellents, aimed at mosquitoes but saying that
>> their tests showed that they appeared also to repel ticks.  The scores
>> range from 95 (tops), down to 4 (poor).  Six of the top 9 top recommende=
>> brands contain only DEET, 2 contain picaridin, and 1 contains Oil of lem=
on
>> eucalyptus.   These are US-based products, unclear if all/any available =
in
>> Canada.   The report can be reviewed without a subscription at
>> CR.org/repellents0917 <http://cr.org/repellents0917>
>> access to which is a bit clunky but worked for me on checking it out.
>> The CR review doesn=E2=80=99t mention Piactive or icaridin, probably bec=
ause the
>> primary focus was on mosquito repellents.  The review comes down on
>> plant-based =E2=80=98botanicals=E2=80=99, which it says are not EPA regi=
stered and which
>> they say they found ineffective.
>> Steve (Hfx)
>>
>> On Aug 8, 2017, at 7:03 PM, David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@yahoo.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>> When I am in the "right place at the right time" to get black-legged
>> ticks, especially the nymphs,  I use a combination of light coloured (so=
>> can see ticks),  pyrethroid-treated clothing and a personal insecticide
>> with pyrethrin or pyrethroids (synthetic analogues of pyrethrin) to ward
>> them off.
>>
>> This summer I began using the Piactive product.  I was walking some
>> clearcuts in early July with a colleague who had sprayed exposed skin bu=
>> had untreated clothing. Walking the same route, he picked up 5 black-leg=
ged
>> ticks, I picked up none.
>>
>> The Piactive product (which contains icaridin, a pyrethroid) is said to
>> be good for 12 hours; it doesn't smell bad like Deet, nor does it dissol=
ve
>> some synthetic clothing as Deet does.
>>
>> Regardless of whether I have been wearing treated clothing & using the
>> personal insecticide I am always on the lookout for ticks on my skin whe=

 Luck?

--=20
Rick Ballard
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada

--001a1134e13e55e4eb0556c0b007

serif">I had the small mosquitoes in Guysborough county this summer, enough=