[NatureNS] Warblers

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 22:13:49 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_sh0h9Fo93lIpJuM8Z9FFEA)

Hi Suzanne,

We have considered the disease problem, and decided to proceed with
caution with our feeding and watering.  If we start to see sick birds we
will reconsider.  So far, so good.  We clean and disinfect our feeders
and bird baths more often than usual, and put out less seed so that
there is none lying around.  We have Am. Goldfinch, and Purple Finch,
and nobody is sick yet.  We are retired, so spend a fair bit of time
watching, feeding and watering our birds.  So we will notice if there is
a problem.

Many years ago I read that more birds die in summer than in winter
because the young birds can't find enough food.  Since then we have fed
them summer and winter, and we have many young birds right now. They
have learned that we are a dependable source of food and water.  I
really don't want to starve them now.

Lois Codling

On 8/22/2017 7:22 AM, Suzanne Townsend wrote:
> Aren't we all supposed to have the birdbaths put away along with the
> feeders?
>
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:06 PM Lois Codling
> <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca <mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Flocks of warblers, mostly young ones, have been passing through our
>     garden for most of August.  Today was the max. number of species - 9.
>     We can't get anything done!  They are really attracted to the birdbath
>     on these hot days, esp. before the rain on Friday.
>
>     Lois Codling

--Boundary_(ID_sh0h9Fo93lIpJuM8Z9FFEA)

  <head>
  </head>
    Hi Suzanne,<br>
    We have considered the disease problem, and decided to proceed with
    caution with our feeding and watering.  If we start to see sick
    birds we will reconsider.  So far, so good.  We clean and disinfect
    our feeders and bird baths more often than usual, and put out less
    seed so that there is none lying around.  We have Am. Goldfinch, and
    Purple Finch, and nobody is sick yet.  We are retired, so spend a
    fair bit of time watching, feeding and watering our birds.  So we
    will notice if there is a problem.<br>
    Many years ago I read that more birds die in summer than in winter
    because the young birds can't find enough food.  Since then we have
    fed them summer and winter, and we have many young birds right now.
    They have learned that we are a dependable source of food and
    water.  I really don't want to starve them now.<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAHLD0ivmSOFbGBkh2H0+GKfGRCadZqLNswaeG+64B42taLGiag@mail.gmail.com">
          away along with the feeders?</div>
              href="mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca"
              moz-do-not-send="true">loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Flocks of
            warblers, mostly young ones, have been passing through our<br>
            garden for most of August.  Today was the max. number of
            species - 9. <br>
            We can't get anything done!  They are really attracted to
            the birdbath<br>
            on these hot days, esp. before the rain on Friday.<br>
            Lois Codling<br>

--Boundary_(ID_sh0h9Fo93lIpJuM8Z9FFEA)--