[NatureNS] Warblers

From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 07:11:21 -0300

--------------6B6876BE28004BFD188ADC66

We too are seeing lots of young birds at our feeders.  Immature
Chickadees, Song Sparrows, amd House Sparrows are coming to the
sunflower seed tube feeder.  Downy woodpeckers and European starlings
have brought their young to the peanut feeder.  The backyard is busy
every day.

As Lois says, we are watching carefully for any signs of disease.
Trichmoniasis has been affecting finches in Nova Scotia for at least 10
years but we have never seen affected birds at our feeders.

We have limited our feeding to the two feeders.  The sunflower one
doesn't allow the seeds to get wet in any weather.  We have no tray
feeders and there are two pigeons that eat the small amount of spillage
from the sunflower feeder.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 8/22/2017 10:13 PM, Lois Codling wrote:
> Hi Suzanne,
>
> We have considered the disease problem, and decided to proceed with
> caution with our feeding and watering.  If we start to see sick birds
> we will reconsider.  So far, so good.  We clean and disinfect our
> feeders and bird baths more often than usual, and put out less seed so
> that there is none lying around.  We have Am. Goldfinch, and Purple
> Finch, and nobody is sick yet.  We are retired, so spend a fair bit of
> time watching, feeding and watering our birds.  So we will notice if
> there is a problem.
>
> Many years ago I read that more birds die in summer than in winter
> because the young birds can't find enough food.  Since then we have
> fed them summer and winter, and we have many young birds right now.
> They have learned that we are a dependable source of food and water.
> I really don't want to starve them now.
>
> Lois Codling
>

> On 8/22/2017 7:22 AM, Suzanne Townsend wrote:
>> Aren't we all supposed to have the birdbaths put away along with the
>> feeders?
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:06 PM Lois Codling
>> <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca <mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>     Flocks of warblers, mostly young ones, have been passing through our
>>     garden for most of August.  Today was the max. number of species
>>     - 9.
>>     We can't get anything done!  They are really attracted to the
>>     birdbath
>>     on these hot days, esp. before the rain on Friday.
>>
>>     Lois Codling

--------------6B6876BE28004BFD188ADC66

  <head>
  </head>
      feeders.  Immature Chickadees, Song Sparrows, amd House Sparrows
      are coming to the sunflower seed tube feeder.  Downy woodpeckers
      and European starlings have brought their young to the peanut
      feeder.  The backyard is busy every day.<br>
      As Lois says, we are watching carefully for any signs of disease.
      Trichmoniasis has been affecting finches in Nova Scotia for at
      least 10 years but we have never seen affected birds at our
      feeders.<br>
      We have limited our feeding to the two feeders.  The sunflower one
      doesn't allow the seeds to get wet in any weather.  We have no
      tray feeders and there are two pigeons that eat the small amount
      of spillage from the sunflower feeder.<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:43e26aba-4471-23ea-396e-7a5470632cb3@hfx.eastlink.ca">
      Hi Suzanne,<br>
      We have considered the disease problem, and decided to proceed
      with caution with our feeding and watering.  If we start to see
      sick birds we will reconsider.  So far, so good.  We clean and
      disinfect our feeders and bird baths more often than usual, and
      put out less seed so that there is none lying around.  We have Am.
      Goldfinch, and Purple Finch, and nobody is sick yet.  We are
      retired, so spend a fair bit of time watching, feeding and
      watering our birds.  So we will notice if there is a problem.<br>
      Many years ago I read that more birds die in summer than in winter
      because the young birds can't find enough food.  Since then we
      have fed them summer and winter, and we have many young birds
      right now.  They have learned that we are a dependable source of
      food and water.  I really don't want to starve them now.<br>
      Lois Codling<br>
        Townsend wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAHLD0ivmSOFbGBkh2H0+GKfGRCadZqLNswaeG+64B42taLGiag@mail.gmail.com">
            put away along with the feeders?</div>
                href="mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca"
                moz-do-not-send="true">loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Flocks
              of warblers, mostly young ones, have been passing through
              our<br>
              garden for most of August.  Today was the max. number of
              species - 9. <br>
              We can't get anything done!  They are really attracted to
              the birdbath<br>
              on these hot days, esp. before the rain on Friday.<br>
              Lois Codling<br>

--------------6B6876BE28004BFD188ADC66--