[NatureNS] mystery: bumble bees attacking

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 14:11:41 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 8/28/2017 1:31 PM, David&Jane Schlosberg wrote:
> HELP!!
>
> My husband was talking to a friend by the side of the house a few days
> ago when he was attacked by a bumble bee. It wouldn’t leave him alone.
> It followed him into the house and we finally had to kill it. Then, I
> read on FB that a similar attack had happened to someone else, while she
> was mowing her lawn. She was stung twice.

> We don’t know what to do. We’ve been so happy to see them, working the
> flowers in our yard, up to now. Suggestions welcome.

* One summer, when we had a Polistes Paper Wasp nest in the trailer we
were living in, we read that they'd only be aggressive when they had
reproductives maturing in the nest - and we did indeed need to be more
careful of them when the reproductives were maturing.

I imagine the same might be true of Bumble Bees, and this is that time
of year.

fred
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book