[NatureNS] Woods walk in North Alton

From: Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:51:57 -0300
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>

--001a113a905ae97f7d05580e9f22

David

Reminds me of a gentleman who was recently looking to purchase our house
and cherished woodlot.

I was walking him through the woods trails and he commented on what trees
needed to come down ( strike 1)
Then his wife commented how they may be able to get the ride on mower up
into the woods to keep the weeds down ( strike 2)
The on the way out he said he would be damning up the brook to create a
pond - I suggested that he may need a water course alteration permit for
such a thing and his reply was " no- you just do it - if you get caught you
just get a slap on the wrist- they won't do nothing anyways" (strike 3)

Fortunately another couple with a keen interest in nature are purchasing
the property. Such a relief.

Ron Wilson
Somerset NS

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:45 PM, David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Dear All,                                Aug 28, 2017
>     I had a pleasant and unhurried walk yesterday with a friend along most
> of the pick and shovel roads in the North Alton woodlot. And the timing
> could not have better.
>     As the saying goes "Its an ill wind that blows no good". Perhaps due
> to the cool summer with frequent rains, the early morning shower on Sunday
> or the combination (or unknown causes; e.g. low temperatures have likely
> have made snakes less active leading to more Froglets) those roads were
> alive with small Wood Frogs (about 1 cm long) and Fleshy Fungi.
>     Typically I see from one to five adult Wood Frogs there per year but
> have previously never seen any young ones. And there are usually some
> fleshy fungi in season but the diversity yesterday was highly exceptional.
>     I made most of these roads more than 30 years ago and have rarely been
> back there in the last 10 (so I sometimes don't recognize sections); trees
> grow and disturbed soil heals so these roads may have entered an "old
> growth" woods road stage with near maximum diversity. As a bonus I noticed
> a new plant Osmunda regalis; Royal Fern (drawing on memory, the two page
> printout is hiding somewhere and that computer is down).
>     For those who live nearby and have time to absorb and appreciate
> natural magic you could do worse than visit this woodlot just after a light
> rain. On average, SE is in, NW is out; a compass helps in cloudy weather.
> If you get turned around follow roads to near the SE corner to find a road
> which leads Easterly to an adjacent lot which has a wide graveled road
> leading  NW to out.
>     And I have an axe to grind. I want to protect these woods from ever
> becoming a residential or commercial wasteland and some support from
> friends of nature might help to swing the balance. And the threat is real.
> I had a call last year from a potential buyer who was disappointed to learn
> it was still  in woodland (he had seen it on the property database) but
> looked on the bright with a "it would not take long to flatten it" comment.
> Yt, DW, Kentville

--001a113a905ae97f7d05580e9f22

 who was recently looking to purchase our house and cherished woodlot.<div>=
t trees needed to come down ( strike 1)</div><div>Then his wife commented h=
ow they may be able to get the ride on mower up into the woods to keep the =
weeds down ( strike 2)</div><div>The on the way out he said he would be dam=
ning up the brook to create a pond - I suggested that he may need a water c=
ourse alteration permit for such a thing and his reply was &quot; no- you j=
ust do it - if you get caught you just get a slap on the wrist- they won&#3=
y another couple with a keen interest in nature are purchasing the property=
xtra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:45 PM, David=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex"><u></u>

=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Aug 28, 2017<div>=C2=A0=
 =C2=A0 I had a pleasant and unhurried walk yesterday with a friend along m=
ost of the pick and shovel roads in the North Alton woodlot. And the timing=
 could not have better.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 As the saying goes &quot;It=
s an ill wind that blows no good&quot;. Perhaps due to the cool summer with=
 frequent rains, the early morning shower on Sunday or the combination (or =
unknown causes; e.g. low temperatures have likely have made snakes less act=
ive leading to more Froglets) those roads were alive with small Wood Frogs =
(about 1 cm long) and Fleshy Fungi.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Typically I see=
 from one to five adult Wood Frogs there per year but have previously never=
 seen any young ones. And there are usually some fleshy fungi in season but=
 the diversity yesterday was highly exceptional.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I made most of these roads more than 30 years ago and have r=
arely been back there in the last 10 (so I sometimes don&#39;t recognize se=
ctions); trees grow and disturbed soil heals so these roads may have entere=
d an &quot;old growth&quot; woods road stage with near maximum diversity. A=
s a bonus I noticed a new plant Osmunda regalis; Royal Fern (drawing on mem=
ory, the two page printout is hiding somewhere and that computer is down).<=
/div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 For those who live nearby and have time to absorb a=
nd appreciate natural magic you could do worse than visit this woodlot just=
 after a light rain. On average, SE is in, NW is out; a compass helps in cl=
oudy weather. If you get turned around follow roads to near the SE corner t=
o find a road which leads Easterly to an adjacent lot which has a wide grav=
eled road leading =C2=A0NW to out.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 And I have an ax=
e to grind.