[NatureNS] Woods walk in North Alton

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.100]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:45:17 +0000

--------=_MB01F8DBB9-5642-4E0C-BF73-B40FCF8FF8D2

Dear All,                                Aug 28, 2017
     I had a pleasant and unhurried walk yesterday with a friend along=20
most of the pick and shovel roads in the North Alton woodlot. And the=20
timing could not have better.
     As the saying goes "Its an ill wind that blows no good". Perhaps due=
=20
to the cool summer with frequent rains, the early morning shower on=20
Sunday or the combination (or unknown causes; e.g. low temperatures have=20
likely have made snakes less active leading to more Froglets) those=20
roads were alive with small Wood Frogs (about 1 cm long) and Fleshy=20
Fungi.
     Typically I see from one to five adult Wood Frogs there per year but=
=20
have previously never seen any young ones. And there are usually some=20
fleshy fungi in season but the diversity yesterday was highly=20
exceptional.
     I made most of these roads more than 30 years ago and have rarely=20
been back there in the last 10 (so I sometimes don't recognize=20
sections); trees grow and disturbed soil heals so these roads may have=20
entered an "old growth" woods road stage with near maximum diversity. As=20
a bonus I noticed a new plant Osmunda regalis; Royal Fern (drawing on=20
memory, the two page printout is hiding somewhere and that computer is=20
down).
     For those who live nearby and have time to absorb and appreciate=20
natural magic you could do worse than visit this woodlot just after a=20
light rain. On average, SE is in, NW is out; a compass helps in cloudy=20
weather. If you get turned around follow roads to near the SE corner to=20
find a road which leads Easterly to an adjacent lot which has a wide=20
graveled road leading  NW to out.
     And I have an axe to grind. I want to protect these woods from ever=20
becoming a residential or commercial wasteland and some support from=20
friends of nature might help to swing the balance. And the threat is=20
real. I had a call last year from a potential buyer who was disappointed=20
to learn it was still  in woodland (he had seen it on the property=20
database) but looked on the bright with a "it would not take long to=20
flatten it" comment.
Yt, DW, Kentville

--------=_MB01F8DBB9-5642-4E0C-BF73-B40FCF8FF8D2

<?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"utf-16"?><html><head>

blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px; padding=
-top: 0px; }
a img { border: 0px; }
ol, ul { list-style-position: inside }=20
body { font-family: Segoe UI; font-size: 12pt;   }
]]></style>
</head>
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Aug 28, 2017<div>=C2=A0 =
=C2=A0 I had a pleasant and unhurried walk yesterday with a friend along m=
ost of the pick and shovel roads in the North Alton woodlot. And the timing =
could not have better.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 As the saying goes "Its an=
 ill wind that blows no good". Perhaps due to the cool summer with frequent=
 rains, the early morning shower on Sunday or the combination (or unknown ca=
uses; e.g. low temperatures have likely have made snakes less active leadin=
g to more Froglets) those roads were alive with small Wood Frogs (about 1 c=
m long) and Fleshy Fungi.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Typically I see from one=
 to five adult Wood Frogs there per year but have previously never seen any=
 young ones. And there are usually some fleshy fungi in season but the diver=
sity yesterday was highly exceptional.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0I made most of these roads more than 30 years ago and have rarely bee=
n back there in the last 10 (so I sometimes don't recognize sections); tree=
s grow and disturbed soil heals so these roads may have entered an "old gro=
wth" woods road stage with near maximum diversity. As a bonus I noticed a n=
ew plant Osmunda regalis; Royal Fern (drawing on memory, the two page print=
out is hiding somewhere and that computer is down).</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =
For those who live nearby and have time to absorb and appreciate natural m=
agic you could do worse than visit this woodlot just after a light rain. On =
average, SE is in, NW is out; a compass helps in cloudy weather. If you ge=
t turned around follow roads to near the SE corner to find a road which lea=
ds Easterly to an adjacent lot which has a wide graveled road leading =C2=
=A0NW to out.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 And I have an axe to grind. I want to =
protect these woods from ever becoming a residential or commercial wastela=
nd and some support from friends of nature might help to swing the balance. =
And the threat is real. I had a call last year from a potential buyer who=
 was disappointed to learn it was still =C2=A0in woodland (he had seen it on =
the property database) but looked on the bright with a "it would not take=
--------=_MB01F8DBB9-5642-4E0C-BF73-B40FCF8FF8D2--