[NatureNS] Eastern Wood Peewee feeding fledgling

From: Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 17:37:35 -0300
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113ff17cb103680558631474

Once the wind finally died down a bit  around 4:30 I took a walk through my
woods trail and encountered a couple of surprises:

An EASTERN WOOD PEEWEE was calling consistently and once I located it I
could see it carry insects to and fro its rather insistent youngster. It
strikes me as a late date for such a young bird. Maybe a second nesting
this year as the adults appeared here on May 22.  The fledgling flew into
the adult on a couple of occasions in an effort to display it's hunger,
once knocking the adult off its perch - other times it sat contentedly
preening on branches.

A PALM WARBLER as mixed in with assorted chickadees, nuthatches, and
Yellow-rumped Warblers.

I hadn't seen "my" Hummingbirds in the yard all day so had assumed they had
finally moved on but there they were back in the woods, out of the winds I
guess. I see them back there often feeding at the tops of small poplars -
my guess is feeding on insects.

Once back in the yard I observed a COOPERS HAWK gliding effortlessly over
the tree tops  - most likely putting an end to much outright bird activity
and vocalization in the woods for at least a half hour.

My decision to leave the camera proved to be a wrong move as there would
have been good opportunities to photograph the Wood Peewees :(

Ron Wilson
Somerset NS

--001a113ff17cb103680558631474

took a walk through my woods trail and encountered a couple of surprises:<d=
I located it I could see it carry insects to and fro its rather insistent y=
oungster. It strikes me as a late date for such a young bird. Maybe a secon=
d nesting this year as the adults appeared here on May 22.=C2=A0 The fledgl=
ing flew into the adult on a couple of occasions in an effort to display it=
&#39;s hunger, once knocking the adult off its perch - other times it sat c=
 mixed in with assorted chickadees, nuthatches, and Yellow-rumped Warblers.=
ds in the yard all day so had assumed they had finally moved on but there t=
hey were back in the woods, out of the winds I guess. I see them back there=
 often feeding at the tops of small poplars - my guess is feeding on insect=
 gliding effortlessly over the tree tops =C2=A0- most likely putting an end=