[NatureNS] Eastern Wood Peewee feeding fledgling

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 09:37:31 -0700

I also had an eastern wood peewee consistently singing from the same
location in my woodlot for roughly the past 3 weeks.  It seemed
surprisingly late, though there's still plenty of 'winged protein
sources' flying about to sustain any flycatcher spp.  I had falsely
concluded perhaps that it was performing a futile task, and the shorter
day lengths had possibly confused it, but Ron gives me hope that it
might have been in the process of completing the raising of a late batch
of fledglings.  It is late!  I should have looked closer and may have
time to check today.

Wonderful to hear of these things.

Donna Crossland

On 2017-09-04 1:37 PM, Ron Wilson wrote:
> Once the wind finally died down a bit  around 4:30 I took a walk
> through my woods trail and encountered a couple of surprises:
>
> An EASTERN WOOD PEEWEE was calling consistently and once I located it
> I could see it carry insects to and fro its rather insistent
> youngster. It strikes me as a late date for such a young bird. Maybe a
> second nesting this year as the adults appeared here on May 22.  The
> fledgling flew into the adult on a couple of occasions in an effort to
> display it's hunger, once knocking the adult off its perch - other
> times it sat contentedly preening on branches.
>
> A PALM WARBLER as mixed in with assorted chickadees, nuthatches, and
> Yellow-rumped Warblers.
>
> I hadn't seen "my" Hummingbirds in the yard all day so had assumed
> they had finally moved on but there they were back in the woods, out
> of the winds I guess. I see them back there often feeding at the tops
> of small poplars - my guess is feeding on insects.
>
> Once back in the yard I observed a COOPERS HAWK gliding effortlessly
> over the tree tops  - most likely putting an end to much outright bird
> activity and vocalization in the woods for at least a half hour.
>
> My decision to leave the camera proved to be a wrong move as there
> would have been good opportunities to photograph the Wood Peewees :(
>
> Ron Wilson
> Somerset NS

---