[NatureNS] Dragonfly pin and horseflies

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 05:33:35 +0000

--_000_9DBF53D33BAC4E92AF05E0DC4DA5BEABdalca_

More like 40 species of Chrysops (deerflies) and 80 species of larger taban=
ids (=91horseflies=92) in 4 genera, east of the Rockies, according to Canad=
ian J of Arthropod Identification, parts 1 & 2 (pdf files available on-line=
, including images and distribution maps).

Presumably fewer species if sticking just to N.S. =97 maybe there=92s a che=
cklist of tabanids for N.S.?

On the likely efficacy of the d=92fly hatpin, I=92d guess its deterrence va=
lue is about the same as that of a copper bracelet in deterring arthritis p=
ain, though believing in either probably does little actual harm.

Steve (Hfx)

On Sep 23, 2017, at 4:48 PM, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com<mailto:rand=