Re[4]: [NatureNS] The Forest Funeral

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.100]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 22:43:56 +0000

r herbivores will become less nutritious in terms of mineral nu
--------=_MB1AA1DAA9-0641-4AED-AFD6-C584DB8A80D4

Hi Nick & All,
     A closed mind and hysteria are not favorable conditions for a=20
positive discussion; or for positive outcomes.
     I have two woodlots and have clearcut only when it was the only=20
practical choice; e.g. once only when all Spruce in some 5-10 acres that=20
was predominantly Spruce suddenly shed needles early in the summer of=20
2000; felled by chainsaw and extracted by porter. I requested that=20
hardwood be spared whenever possible (it all was) and that the porter be=20
used only when the soil was dry (there was zero soil disturbance).
     That turned out well. There was some annual cover that same year=20
(drawing on memory) but starting early in the following year there was a=20
vigorous cover of  insect friendly annual and perennial plants except=20
where prevented by hardwood trees (e.g. shoulder high Solidago sp by=20
late summer). One White Birch grew so rapidly that the bark split at the=20
base. To judge from subsequent growth of spared hardwood and seeded=20
trees there was zero leaching loss.
     But I know that clearcutting happens a great deal. One of the=20
reasons is economic. I suspect that depopulation of rural areas is=20
another because if you have to migrate to find work then selling the=20
family woodlot for a song may be your only option. Spruce trees near=20
Kentville are unthrifty to put it mildly and this may be true elsewhere.=20
Is the rush to cut perhaps driven by the emergence or fear of tree=20
decline ?
     I don't advocate clearcutting as the way to go but if you wish to=20
change industry practices then it is desirable to find out why it has=20
become so widespread. Selective cutting is practical for the hobby=20
firewood cutter, e.g. DW, and just possible commercially given UNUSUALLY=20
favorable circumstances. Otherwise it is a great way to make a large=20
loss, as I learned in 2002 when we horse logged selectively.
     I had an opportunity to try selective cutting about 2003 using a=20
tree harvester with (as I recall) an 18' reach. The approach was to cut=20
9' travel ways (in about 20 acres of overstocked woods) every 36',=20
protect soil of the travel ways with trash wood and selectively cut the=20
remainder using the tree harvester, I agreed, had a sleepless night and=20
to my everlasting regret backed out. My harvester friend said "Dave, if=20
you don't thin these trees they will all die" As it turned out he was=20
entirely correct and I missed an opportunity to test a possible cost=20
effective way to thin overstocked woodland.
Yt, DW, Kentville