Re[2]: [NatureNS] The Forest Funeral

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:31:39 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f403043ed42c05642b055b9bc732

Let's pull together.
The argument that clearcut is good for wildlife is able to be made in a
mosaic of mature and disturbed habitat. Where we have clearcut and recovery
from clearcut being the principal land class, one cannot argue for the
value of clearcut.
Where clearcut is used in rapid succession every 60 years or less, the soil
nutrient base becomes depleted. Where that occurs there are ecosystem
impacts as well as trophic level implications as browse for herbivores will
become less nutritious in terms of mineral nutrients.

Nova Scotia still has forest. PEI does not. New Brunswick is being
intensively managed. Nova Scotia could choose to get out of the forest as a
short-term source of funds and could become a green Vermont of the
Maritimes. We have the tradition of the guides of the north woods and
lovely rivers. No one comes for clearcuts. Clearcut forestry cannot survive
without addition of human sewage compost. Why not develop a forestry based
on longer rotations that uses true selection cutting and results in working
landscapes whose productivity and thought make people's minds register
beauty rather than out for a quick buck sadness?

On Oct 15, 2017 4:45 PM, "rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca" <
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Good point Dave! Folks travelling on the 103 should
> remember that paving is in progress about exit 5a. Delays can be length!
> Take my word from experience!
> An old saying in BC Dave "The Axe comes before the Moose"
> summarizes it nicely.
> Enjoy the Autumn
> Paul
>

> On October 15, 2017 at 2:46 PM David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>     It is interesting that this mock funeral will increase highway traffic
> (briefly) because the expansion of highways, especially of the 101 series,
> has destroyed a huge chunk of potential forest land and taken a much larger
> bite out of small animal habitat/population. Even a 10" high gravel ridge
> is a barrier to snake travel and the huge cuts and fills associated with
> the 101 series has fragmented Reptile and Amphibian habitat much as a
> sledge hammer can fragment a fragile glass container.
>    The idea that Moose need mature forest is not sound. I have never
> hunted Moose but have several times hunted Deer in upland country where
> Moose were also present. Moose sign were consistently very sparse in mature
> woodland (as in got to get through this wasteland) and abundant in nearby
> clearcut regrowth. In recent times Moose reached the coast in BC. Mature
> forest had acted as a barrier to travel and logging generated the food
> friendly means to travel from inland areas to the coast.
>     It has been my experience that woodland, flattened by clearcut or
> Spruce Budworm, becomes very good wildlife habitat within 10 years and
> sometimes 1-2 if hardwoods are involved.  Has this changed ? Are recent
> clearcuts not growing back ?
> YT, DW Kentville

ng the principal land class, one cannot argue for the value of clearcut.</d=
iv><div dir=3D"auto">Where clearcut is used in rapid succession every 60 ye=