[NatureNS] salamander, dragonflies, turkey vultures, red-tailed

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:11:13 +0000

Hi Bev,
We have also been particularly plagued this year with the small black flies in the kitchen around fruit.  I trap them to suppress them, though their numbers have recently dropped off.   They are larger, darker and more stripey than the famous research fruit fly/vinegar fly Drosophila melanogaster, also common earlier this year.  Unsure of the species, I put a few images on Bugguide, which came back ID’d as yet another fly of the same genus, Drosophila hydei.  They are easy to rear in the same way as melanogaster, and it appears from info on-line that some people do this in order to feed them to their collections of tiny frogs.
Steve