[NatureNS] salamander, dragonflies, turkey vultures, red-tailed hawk

From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:17:14 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1145f550eeac33055c8c2218

Hi Bev,

I too saw some dragonflies this afternoon at Sandy Lake Park, HRM.  As best
as I can tell, they were Autumn Meadowhawks, *Sympetrum vicinum*, so not an
unusual observation.

Ron

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:

> Hi Bev,
> We have also been particularly plagued this year with the small black
> flies in the kitchen around fruit.  I trap them to suppress them, though
> their numbers have recently dropped off.   They are larger, darker and mo=
re
> stripey than the famous research fruit fly/vinegar fly Drosophila
> melanogaster, also common earlier this year.  Unsure of the species, I pu=
> a few images on Bugguide, which came back ID=E2=80=99d as yet another fly=
 of the
> same genus, Drosophila hydei.  They are easy to rear in the same way as
> melanogaster, and it appears from info on-line that some people do this i=
> order to feed them to their collections of tiny frogs.
> Steve
>
> On Oct 27, 2017, at 12:49 PM, bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This morning, at around 11 a.m., while on my way between Port Wade and
> Granville Ferry, I say a largish salamander in lively looking marching
> mode, crossing the highway - this was maybe 2 km. before reaching Granvil=
le
> Ferry.  I could not stop as it was a very unsafe curve, so don't know the
> species.  However, interesting to see one out and about
> > Also worthy ofmention.  I am still seeing dragonflies around my place a=
> Round Hill.  The are very active and quick and so I have not been able to
> see or photograph them up close for an ID, but they appear to be dark blu=
> - of good size - so I am thinking a Darner of some sort.  They are probab=
ly
> hunting the rather annoying little flies that are much attracted to fruit=
 -
> seem like fruit flies, actually.  I have noticed them around whenever I a=
> cooking outdoors, which is most of the time.  Anyhow, I think those are o=
> the menu for the dragonflies as they fly around the garden, occasionally
> approaching the barbecue to nab a few of the small flies.
> > Still seeing Turkey Vultures cruising the skiy above my place.
> > Had a Red-tailed Hawk do a very sharp stall and tight circle quite low
> over the front lawn last week - apparently startled by my folk art whale
> weathervane on the tower roof.  If then gave it a close look while slowly
> passing  over the roof of my house.
> >
> > bev wigney
> > Round Hill, NS

--=20
Ronald G. Arsenault
Halifax, Nova Scotia

--001a1145f550eeac33055c8c2218

 dragonflies this afternoon at Sandy Lake Park, HRM.=C2=A0 As best as I can=
 tell, they were Autumn Meadowhawks, <i>Sympetrum vicinum</i>, so not an un=
usual observation.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"text-indent:5=
Oct 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Stephen Shaw <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Bev,<br>
We have also been particularly plagued this year with the small black flies=
 in the kitchen around fruit.=C2=A0 I trap them to suppress them, though th=
eir numbers have recently dropped off.=C2=A0 =C2=A0They are larger, darker =
and more stripey than the famous research fruit fly/vinegar fly Drosophila =
melanogaster, also common earlier this year.=C2=A0 Unsure of the species, I=
 put a few images on Bugguide, which came back ID=E2=80=99d as yet another =
fly of the same genus, Drosophila hydei.=C2=A0 They are easy to rear in the=
 same way as melanogaster, and it appears from info on-line that some peopl=
e do this in order to feed them to their collections of tiny frogs.<br>
Steve<br>
On Oct 27, 2017, at 12:49 PM, bev wigney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bkwigney@gma=
il.com">bkwigney@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; This morning, at around 11 a.m., while on my way between Port Wade and=
 Granville Ferry, I say a largish salamander in lively looking marching mod=
e, crossing the highway - this was maybe 2 km. before reaching Granville Fe=
rry.=C2=A0 I could not stop as it was a very unsafe curve, so don&#39;t kno=
w the species.=C2=A0 However, interesting to see one out and about<br>
&gt; Also worthy ofmention.=C2=A0 I am still seeing dragonflies around my p=
lace at Round Hill.=C2=A0 The are very active and quick and so I have not b=
een able to see or photograph them up close for an ID, but they appear to b=
e dark blue - of good size - so I am thinking a Darner of some sort.=C2=A0 =
They are probably hunting the rather annoying little flies that are much at=
tracted to fruit - seem like fruit flies, actually.=C2=A0 I have noticed th=
em around whenever I am cooking outdoors, which is most of the time.=C2=A0 =
Anyhow, I think those are on the menu for the dragonflies as they fly aroun=
d the garden, occasionally approaching the barbecue to nab a few of the sma=
ll flies.<br>
&gt; Still seeing Turkey Vultures cruising the skiy above my place.<br>
&gt; Had a Red-tailed Hawk do a very sharp stall and tight circle quite low=
 over the front lawn last week - apparently startled by my folk art whale w=
eathervane on the tower roof.=C2=A0 If then gave it a close look while slow=
ly passing=C2=A0 over the roof of my house.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; bev wigney<br>
&gt; Round Hill, NS<br>
&gt;<br>