[NatureNS] On "Stringing"

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 11:03:06 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--001a114502101b8b7a055cec57a8

Do you know what "Stringing" is in Birding ? The whole article is worth
reading.

http://blog.aba.org/2017/07/on-stringing.html

"Every province and state has one or more. A stringer is someone who
doesn=E2=80=99t know when to declare uncertainty, or just never declares it=
. One
mark of a really good birder is that they can say without shame, =E2=80=9CI=
 don=E2=80=99t
know=E2=80=9D. A stringer hardly ever says that. And stringers find a lot o=
f =E2=80=9Cgood=E2=80=9D
birds, nearly always when they are alone, and usually they don=E2=80=99t ge=
t photos
of them. Some birders live in remote areas and aren=E2=80=99t into photogra=
phy, and
it stands to reason that they would find interesting birds while alone and
not have photos to show for it. Stringers know this too, and can use it as
a shield when anyone sticks a nose into their noteworthy claims. But more
often than not stringers don=E2=80=99t live in remote areas, much as we mig=
ht wish
it.

There was an age in birding when honor was perhaps more scrutinized at the
individual level than it is today. In the Oughts, with the arrival of
digital photography, it became much easier to document rare birds and
vagrants. As someone who understands how birders=E2=80=99 minds work, I act=
ively
try to document with photos any species I see that comes close to the
threshold of being deemed unusual. I estimate I=E2=80=99m successful more t=
han 80%
of the time in getting an identifiable photo (or audio recording). It=E2=80=
=99s
that easy. And I also hope that my thoroughness in documenting unusual
sightings lends me credit for the day when I see something truly remarkable
that does not allow me to get a photo of it. But when I do see something
really truly mind-blowingly earth-shatteringly rare, the odds will be on my
side 80%+ of the time. And with chance favoring the prepared, I=E2=80=99ll =
have
been practicing along the way."
Regards,
Rick Whitman

--001a114502101b8b7a055cec57a8

aba.org/2017/07/on-stringing.html">http://blog.aba.org/2017/07/on-stringing=
,35);font-family:Trebuchet,sans-serif;font-size:18px">Every province and st=
ate has one or more. A stringer is someone who doesn=E2=80=99t know when to=
 declare uncertainty, or just never declares it. One mark of a really good =
birder is that they can say without shame, =E2=80=9CI don=E2=80=99t know=E2=
=80=9D. A stringer hardly ever says that. And stringers find a lot of =E2=
=80=9Cgood=E2=80=9D birds, nearly always when they are alone, and usually t=
hey don=E2=80=99t get photos of them. Some birders live in remote areas and=
 aren=E2=80=99t into photography, and it stands to reason that they would f=
ind interesting birds while alone and not have photos to show for it. Strin=
gers know this too, and can use it as a shield when anyone sticks a nose in=
to their noteworthy claims. But more often than not stringers don=E2=80=99t=
 live in remote areas, much as we might wish it.</span></div><p style=3D"ma=
rgin:1em 0px;padding:0px;color:rgb(35,35,35);font-family:Trebuchet,sans-ser=
if;font-size:18px">There was an age in birding when honor was perhaps more =
scrutinized at the individual level than it is today. In the Oughts, with t=
he arrival of digital photography, it became much easier to document rare b=
irds and vagrants. As someone who understands how birders=E2=80=99 minds wo=
rk, I actively try to document with photos any species I see that comes clo=
se to the threshold of being deemed unusual. I estimate I=E2=80=99m success=
ful more than 80% of the time in getting an identifiable photo (or audio re=
cording). It=E2=80=99s that easy. And I also hope that my thoroughness in d=
ocumenting unusual sightings lends me credit for the day when I see somethi=
ng truly remarkable that does not allow me to get a photo of it. But when I=
 do see something really truly mind-blowingly earth-shatteringly rare, the =
odds will be on my side 80%+ of the time. And with chance favoring the prep=
ared, I=E2=80=99ll have been practicing along the way.&quot;</p><div>Regard=

--001a114502101b8b7a055cec57a8--