[NatureNS] Jake's Landing Trail

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 14:09:17 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The bracket fungi found on Hemlock -- they are red and look like they
are lacquered -- are Ganoderma tsugae -  also called a Hemlock Varnish
fungus, and known as the medicinal fungus, Reishi.
Here is a photo of a colony of large fungi found on mature Hemlock in
eastern Ontario.  These brackets were interesting as they were holding
a long branch -- they had grown around it and were holding the full
weight of it.
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/34021032
These are smaller fungi (younger) growing along a fallen Hemlock.
They often grow on conspicuous 'necks' when they are growing on the
top of a stump or on a fallen tree.  You don't see that so much when
they are growing out of a vertical tree.
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/30144219
Not sure about the grey fungi.  Would have to see them.

regards,
Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS