[NatureNS] Raccoon Problem

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 10:06:51 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01D365D5.1D355430

Hi James, Peter and Gayle:

May I suggest the method I use which has been successful here. Near each end
of the clothesline, ON the clothesline I have placed three empty large
2-litre plastic pop bottles, by slitting the bottle lengthways on one side
to slip the bottle over the clothesline.  These bottles need to be able to
spin easily - in effect to discourage transit of any squirrel or raccoon by
spinning under foot as they attempt to reach the source of food, and
throwing the animal off.   One needs at least three bottles a few inches
apart at each end of the line, to be effective.

I borrowed this great idea from a birding friend in the Halifax area many
moons ago and have always been grateful for it simplicity but effective way
to thwart squirrels and raccoons in my back yard.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

   Wolfville