[NatureNS] Milkweed Tidbits

From: Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 17:46:55 -0400
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0825ed60307abf055f8aa82b

Very interesting articles Ian.

I forwarded the links to a FB site that I subscribe to called MILK the
WEED,  a U.S. site dedicated to Monarch Butterfly and milkweed landscape
enhancement as well as native plant and prairie gardening .

Regards,

Ron Wilson
formerly Somerset NS now St Andrews NB

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple interesting notes on milkweed from Mary Holland, and a 2012
> Article from Washington Post with some supporting info.
> Ian
>

> *A Win-Win for Milkweed & Monarchs
> <https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/a-win-w=
in-for-milkweed-monarchs/>*
> Naturally Curious - 4.12.2017
> Mary Holland
> https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/a-
> win-win-for-milkweed-monarchs/
>
> "Milkweed, a perennial plant that can adapt to adverse soil conditions,
> has recently been recognized as a viable source of fiber for fill for
> jackets and comforters.  Winter coats insulated with a compressed layer o=
> milkweed fluff are have been shown to be as effective at retaining body
> heat as those filled with down or polyester, and a Canadian company is no=
> manufacturing and selling them.
>
> Although historically considered a =E2=80=9Cweed,=E2=80=9D milkweed came =
into its own
> during World War II, when overseas supplies of the insulating fiber from
> the kapok tree were cut off and milkweed fluff was harvested for use in
> life jackets. The U.S. government launched a program that enlisted the he=
lp
> of children: if they could fill up a large onion bag of milkweed fluff,
> they would receive fifteen cents. This incentive proved very popular, and
> the U.S. was able to stuff over 1.2 million life vests with milkweed fluf=
f.
> However, after the war, the rising use of synthetics lessened interest in
> all natural fibers, and milkweed went back to being considered a less tha=
> desirable weed.
>
> Recently milkweed populations have been declining, in part due to
> herbicides and loss of habitat. However, with the growing interest in thi=
> plant as a source of commercial fiber it is now being planted as an
> agricultural crop, with some Vermont and Canadian farmers devoting acres =
of
> farmland to its growth. This, of course, is a boon to monarchs, as milkwe=
ed
> leaves are the sole source of food for monarch larvae. Not only is milkwe=
ed
> being cultivated, but the farmers growing it are making an effort not to
> harvest the plants until monarchs have migrated in the fall. A win-win
> situation for all concerned."
>

> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/metro/urban-jungle/pages/12=
0925.html>
> *Milkweed fruits: Pods of plenty
> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/metro/urban-jungle/pages/12=
0925.html>*
> Washington Post
> 25.09.2012
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/metro/urban-
> jungle/pages/120925.html

--089e0825ed60307abf055f8aa82b

ded the links to a FB site that I subscribe to called MILK the WEED,=C2=A0 =
a U.S. site dedicated to Monarch Butterfly and milkweed landscape enhanceme=
rset NS now St Andrews NB=C2=A0=C2=A0</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-=
left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"m_-5101375459581725782gmail_signat=
ure"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>A couple interesting notes on milkweed from Mary=
 Holland, and a 2012 Article from Washington Post with some supporting info=
v><b><a href=3D"https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2017/=
12/04/a-win-win-for-milkweed-monarchs/" target=3D"_blank">A Win-Win for Mil=
ouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/a-win-win-for-milkweed-monarchs=
/" target=3D"_blank">https://<wbr>naturallycuriouswithmaryhollan<wbr>d.word=
r></div><div>&quot;Milkweed, a perennial plant that can adapt to adverse so=
il conditions, has recently been recognized as a viable source of fiber for=
 fill for jackets and comforters.=C2=A0 Winter coats insulated with a compr=
essed layer of milkweed fluff are have been shown to be as effective at ret=
aining body heat as those filled with down or polyester, and a Canadian com=
gh historically considered a =E2=80=9Cweed,=E2=80=9D milkweed came into its=
 own during World War II, when overseas supplies of the insulating fiber fr=
om the kapok tree were cut off and milkweed fluff was harvested for use in =
life jackets. The U.S. government launched a program that enlisted the help=
 of children: if they could fill up a large onion bag of milkweed fluff, th=
ey would receive fifteen cents. This incentive proved very popular, and the=
 U.S. was able to stuff over 1.2 million life vests with milkweed fluff. Ho=
wever, after the war, the rising use of synthetics lessened interest in all=
 natural fibers, and milkweed went back to being considered a less than des=
en declining, in part due to herbicides and loss of habitat. However, with =
the growing interest in this plant as a source of commercial fiber it is no=