[NatureNS] unknown HRM bird, update

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:01:56 +0000

mal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-str
--_000_0046266EDAC24FE390885D68FE66B7E5dalca_

Looking again at Sibley, it pretty much fits his =93Drab 1st year female=94=
 Baltimore Oriole, though it seems a bit darker and I don=92t see an eyestr=
ipe.  I bet that=92s it.
----------------------

A couple of days ago my daughter saw a warbler-sized bird perched on the ba=
r that holds our hanging feeder, and got 4 distant photos through a window =
before it flew off =97 it has not been back.  Problem is, I can=92t match i=
t to anything in Sibley to the Smithosonian guide.  Description (from the p=
hotos, as I didn=92t see it):

Throat & breast definitely bright yellow on the image, breast edged with wh=
ite; no spots or streaks at all; belly white.  Cameras can lie and the obse=
rver thought it was more orange to look at, than yellow as on the photo.
Two prominent white wing bars, dark wings.
Bill sharp, grey, angle a bit steeper like an oriole than slender (smaller =
angle) as in many warblers, not finch-like..
Crown grayish brown, no cap.
Grey toes.
Tail hidden behind the perch, but the observer thought there might have bee=
n a flash of orange/yellow on the underside of the rump when it flew off.
The oddest unmatchable feature is that the dark eye, while indistinct on th=
e photos, appears completely surrounded by black orbital feathers, so it lo=
oks like a large black eye.
Doesn=92t seem to fit any warbler, oriole, vireo or flycatcher as far as I =
could see, & not a finch/sparrow.  Could be an immature stage or an adult l=
osing its summer plumage (?).  Probably not exotic, but I=92m stumped.

I have 4 similar, largely side-view photos ~1.3MB each, none that great but=
 might be enough, if anyone is interested to try an identification.
Steve (Halifax)

--_000_0046266EDAC24FE390885D68FE66B7E5dalca_

<head>
252">
</head>
e-break: after-white-space;">
=93Drab 1st year female=94 Baltimore Oriole, though it seems a bit darker a=
nd I don=92t see an eyestripe. &nbsp;I bet that=92s it.</font>
---------------------------<br>
he bar that holds our hanging feeder, and got 4 distant photos through a wi=
ndow before it flew off =97 it has not been back. &nbsp;Problem is, I can=
=92t match it to anything in Sibley to the
 Smithosonian guide. &nbsp;Description (from the photos, as I didn=92t see =
it):
d with white; no spots or streaks at all; belly white. &nbsp;Cameras can li=
e and the observer thought it was more orange to look at, than yellow as on=
 the photo.</div>
ller angle) as in many warblers, not finch-like..</div>
e been a flash of orange/yellow on the underside of the rump when it flew o=
ff.</div>
on the photos, appears completely surrounded by black orbital feathers, so =
it looks like a large black eye.</div>
as I could see, &amp; not a finch/sparrow. &nbsp;Could be an immature stage=
 or an adult losing its summer plumage (?). &nbsp;Probably not exotic, but =
I=92m stumped.&nbsp;</div>
t but might be enough, if anyone is interested to try an identification.</d=
iv>

--_000_0046266EDAC24FE390885D68FE66B7E5dalca_--