[NatureNS] unknown HRM bird, update

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 04:29:03 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-9A578EE4-01DA-47B7-A569-F5630D7848C6

That is what I was thinking too. The dark wings with prominent bars pretty m=
uch made it sound like a Baltimore Oriole. They seem to have a range of tran=
sitional looks b/t breeding and non breeding, immature and adult plus the dr=
ab ones. Lots posted lately on the NSBS Facebook page and they always make m=
e take a second look.=20

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 10, 2017, at 3:01 AM, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca> wrote:
>=20
> Looking again at Sibley, it pretty much fits his =E2=80=9CDrab 1st year fe=
male=E2=80=9D Baltimore Oriole, though it seems a bit darker and I don=E2=80=
=99t see an eyestripe.  I bet that=E2=80=99s it.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------
>=20
> A couple of days ago my daughter saw a warbler-sized bird perched on the b=
ar that holds our hanging feeder, and got 4 distant photos through a window b=
efore it flew off =E2=80=94 it has not been back.  Problem is, I can=E2=80=99=
t match it to anything in Sibley to the Smithosonian guide.  Description (fr=
om the photos, as I didn=E2=80=99t see it):
>=20
> Throat & breast definitely bright yellow on the image, breast edged with w=
hite; no spots or streaks at all; belly white.  Cameras can lie and the obse=
rver thought it was more orange to look at, than yellow as on the photo.
> Two prominent white wing bars, dark wings.
> Bill sharp, grey, angle a bit steeper like an oriole than slender (smaller=
 angle) as in many warblers, not finch-like..
> Crown grayish brown, no cap.
> Grey toes.
> Tail hidden behind the perch, but the observer thought there might have be=
en a flash of orange/yellow on the underside of the rump when it flew off.
> The oddest unmatchable feature is that the dark eye, while indistinct on t=
he photos, appears completely surrounded by black orbital feathers, so it lo=
oks like a large black eye.
> Doesn=E2=80=99t seem to fit any warbler, oriole, vireo or flycatcher as fa=
r as I could see, & not a finch/sparrow.  Could be an immature stage or an a=
dult losing its summer plumage (?).  Probably not exotic, but I=E2=80=99m st=
umped.=20
>=20
> I have 4 similar, largely side-view photos ~1.3MB each, none that great bu=
t might be enough, if anyone is interested to try an identification.
> Steve (Halifax)
>=20

--Apple-Mail-9A578EE4-01DA-47B7-A569-F5630D7848C6

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">That is what I was thinking too. The dark w=
ings with prominent bars pretty much made it sound like a Baltimore Oriole. T=
hey seem to have a range of transitional looks b/t breeding and non breeding=
, immature and adult plus the drab ones. Lots posted lately on the NSBS Face=
br>On Dec 10, 2017, at 3:01 AM, Stephen Shaw &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:srshaw@Da=
iv>

52">

=80=9CDrab 1st year female=E2=80=9D Baltimore Oriole, though it seems a bit d=
arker and I don=E2=80=99t see an eyestripe. &nbsp;I bet that=E2=80=99s it.</=
font>
--------------------------<br>
e bar that holds our hanging feeder, and got 4 distant photos through a wind=
ow before it flew off =E2=80=94 it has not been back. &nbsp;Problem is, I ca=
n=E2=80=99t match it to anything in Sibley to the
 Smithosonian guide. &nbsp;Description (from the photos, as I didn=E2=80=99t=
 see it):
 with white; no spots or streaks at all; belly white. &nbsp;Cameras can lie a=
nd the observer thought it was more orange to look at, than yellow as on the=
 photo.</div>
ler angle) as in many warblers, not finch-like..</div>
 been a flash of orange/yellow on the underside of the rump when it flew off=
.</div>
n the photos, appears completely surrounded by black orbital feathers, so it=
 looks like a large black eye.</div>
 far as I could see, &amp; not a finch/sparrow. &nbsp;Could be an immature s=
tage or an adult losing its summer plumage (?). &nbsp;Probably not exotic, b=
ut I=E2=80=99m stumped.&nbsp;</div>
 but might be enough, if anyone is interested to try an identification.</div=

--Apple-Mail-9A578EE4-01DA-47B7-A569-F5630D7848C6--