[NatureNS] Organic waste & climate change

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.100]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 00:09:17 +0000

--------=_MB8DE81012-7A71-4D85-AE81-676CEE7690F0

Dear All,
     I know that naturens is not a forum for political controversy but an=
=20
article in today's paper to the effect that aerobic production of=20
compost for disposal of organic waste is fine as long as the cost is low=20
enough prompted me to take time to write a letter to the editor. Knowing=20
that the chances of anything which is critical of City Hall being=20
printed is very small I decided to send it also to Naturens (below).
     Perhaps after birds die at feeders in December it is ok to vent a=20
bit about climate change on naturens. Much severe windchill in Dec with=20
little or no snow cover will have played havoc with many small creatures=20
who normally winter in comfort at the interface of soil and snow; once=20
again small rodents and snakes will be blown away, as they were in my=20
woodlot in 08-09 and barely starting to recover by 2017.
     In addition I briefly had the mistaken impression that biochar was=20
limited to charcoal produced by accident in forest fires. I have=20
subsequently learned that it is product of great potential provided it=20
is widely promoted and widely used. In addition charcoal would be even=20
better and some organic waste (demolition wood fiber) should be used in=20
this way.  My call to Valley Waste has not been returned.
     If controversy of this nature offends some members of Naturens well=20
So Sorry,
Yt, DW, Kentville

Dear Editor:
     Re: City eyes composting upgrades. Jan 9, p A5
     The enemy, climate change, is at the gates and choices for disposal=20
of organic waste should be governed accordingly. If composted=20
aerobically then eventually all of the carbon will be released as CO2;=20
AVOID ENTIRELY.
     If dry and/or suitable for biochar production then make biochar and=20
use as a soil amendment; http://www.canadianagrichar.ca/faq. This,=20
depending upon starting material and process, can sequester carbon for=20
thousands of years. Carbon of charcoal is sequestered forever if buried=20
to depth so , if raw material permits, it should be converted to=20
charcoal, crushed to very fine particles (for maximum water and nutrient=20
holding capacity) and thoroughly mixed with soil to a depth of three=20
metres on well drained sites with poor water and nutrient holding=20
limitations; intentional terra preta.
     The wet stream would logically be digested anaerobically for=20
production, capture and use of methane. If HRM can't figure that out=20
then they should talk to a progressive dairy farmer. All residential=20
sewage should also be processed for methane capture so the same=20
facilities could be used for both.
     Forward thinking is hampered by fortress mentalities. Valley Waste=20
is a closed shop with a closed corporate mind. No feedback window via=20
internet. I phoned about 2 hours ago and someone may call back someday=20
or perhaps not.
Yours truly, David H. Webster, Kentville
--------=_MB8DE81012-7A71-4D85-AE81-676CEE7690F0

67b60a229c49a7b14af5682fdfa7ec a{
	color:#00E;
}
#x0767b60a229c49a7b14af5682fdfa7ec a:visited{
	color:#551A8B;
}
#x0767b60a229c49a7b14af5682fdfa7ec{
	font-family:'Segoe UI';
	font-size:12pt;
	color:#000;
	margin-left:0px;
	margin-right:8px;
	background-color:#FFF;
}
#x0767b60a229c49a7b14af5682fdfa7ec{
	font-family:'Segoe UI';
	font-size:12pt;
}]]></style>

blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px; padding=
-top: 0px; }
a img { border: 0px; }
ol, ul { list-style-position: inside }=20
body { font-family: Segoe UI; font-size: 12pt;   }
]]></style>
</head>
 for political controversy but an article in today's paper to the effect tha=
t aerobic production of compost for disposal of organic waste is fine as lo=
ng as the cost is low enough prompted me to take time to write a letter to=
 the editor. Knowing that the chances of anything which is critical of City=
 Hall being printed is very small I decided to send it also to Naturens (bel=
ow).=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0Perhaps after birds die at fee=
ders in December it is ok to vent a bit about climate change on naturens. M=
uch severe windchill in Dec with little or no snow cover will have played h=
avoc with many small creatures who normally winter in comfort at the interf=
ace of soil and snow; once again small rodents and snakes will be blown awa=
y, as they were in my woodlot in 08-09 and barely starting to recover by 20=
17.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 In addition I briefly had the mistaken im=
pression that biochar was limited to charcoal produced by accident in fores=
t fires. I have subsequently learned that it is product of great potential=
 provided it is widely promoted and widely used. In addition charcoal would=
 be even better and some organic waste (demolition wood fiber) should be use=
d in this way. =C2=A0My call to Valley Waste has not been returned.</div><d=
iv>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 If controversy of this nature offends some members of Natu=
=C2=A0 Re: City eyes composting upgrades. Jan 9, p A5</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 The enemy, climate change, is at the gates and choices for disposal of=
 organic waste should be governed accordingly. If composted aerobically then =
eventually all of the carbon will be released as CO2; AVOID ENTIRELY.=C2=
=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 If dry and/or suitable for biochar production t=
hen make biochar and use as a soil amendment;=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://www.ca=
nadianagrichar.ca/faq" style=3D"font-size: 12pt;">http://www.canadianagrich=
ar.ca/faq</a>. This, depending upon starting material and process, can sequ=
ester carbon for thousands of years. Carbon of charcoal is sequestered fore=
ver if buried to depth so , if raw material permits, it should be converted =
to charcoal, crushed to very fine particles (for maximum water and nutrien=
t holding capacity) and thoroughly mixed with soil to a depth of three metr=
es on well drained sites with poor water and nutrient holding limitations;=
 intentional terra preta.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 The wet stream would logic=
ally be digested anaerobically for production, capture and use of methane.=
 If HRM can't figure that out then they should talk to a progressive dairy f=
armer. All residential sewage should also be processed for methane capture=
 so the same facilities could be used for both.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Forw=
ard thinking is hampered by fortress mentalities. Valley Waste is a closed=
 shop with a closed corporate mind. No feedback window via internet. I phone=
d about 2 hours ago and someone may call back someday or perhaps not.</div>=
--------=_MB8DE81012-7A71-4D85-AE81-676CEE7690F0--