[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 09:33:38 -0400

What is notic
We still see the catbird from time to time, just now is one of the times.
There were a couple Grackles in the grapevine a few minutes ago and a couple
starlings. The big surprise was we had a flutter of Redpolls fly in and the
pop up into the maple along side the drive. I don't have Niger seed so we
need to get some of that.
Sparrows include the Song, numbers down quite noticeably and the White
Throats. Their numbers seem about the same, maybe a few less. I still
haven't seen an American Tree Sparrow nor a Chipping Sparrow. Very sad about
that.
Aside from that we have the usual Chickadees, Juncos, Blue Jays, Hairy and
Downy Woodpeckers and a brown Tree Creeper. American Goldfinches are
attending throughout the day. Numbers are way down for them as well. We
can't decide if it how food is being offered, we don't scatter it over the
septic mound or under the trees anymore, so of course the bird count will
drop. WE do still have a few Mourning Doves but not the large numbers of
30 - 80 + they were our usual numbers. We have been adopted by 9 big crows.
They are really neat birds. The are used to our movements so I can get
photos and paint them. One comes and peeks into the studio window at times.
I am not supplementing their feed even though I think that is what they
would like.
The Nuthatches seem to have departed and are missed. We are not seeing any
injured birds very strangely considering the winds.
The grape/kiwi vine is a sorry tangle that might never get sorted. It is
difficult to see who is there these days but hopefully we will get a warm
period where we can assess the damage and see about new supports. (She says
hopefully)

Best regards, Happy New Year, Marg

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please