[NatureNS] RE: [NS-RBA] Fw: The Ethical Birder

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:00:48 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-91061B71-6945-4B2C-8ED8-54398F014EB0

Thank you John for those thoughtful insights. And to Eric for bringing this t=
o our attention.=20

I am not a hard core birder and just watch and listen, occasionally managing=
 a poor photo. If a bird doesn=E2=80=99t appear on its own accord I figure =E2=
=80=9Ctoo bad, maybe another day=E2=80=9D and move on. I will never have a l=
ong life list either.=20

To me, using playback to threaten a bird into showing itself or defending it=
s territory is akin to pointing a gun at a person. Pishing is almost as bad.=
 My opinions alone. We all have to follow our consciences. And I realize I h=
ave benefited from the knowledge gained from birders who use these tactics s=
o I am guilty of hypocrisy here. As John says, good to think a bit before do=
ing something invasive to birds or the planet. Is it always necessary?

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 7, 2018, at 10:27 AM, John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca> w=
rote:
>=20
> Thank you, Eric for distributing this in Nova Scotia and to you, Todd for w=
riting up these important concerns.
> John
> =20
> =20
ts to the planet.. Climate change is beginning to reshape the world, pestici=
des as well as other pollutants can be found in the most remote and seemingl=
y pristine areas, habitat loss threatens countless species of flora and faun=
a and human numbers continue to grow at alarming rates. Seabirds populations=
 have been reduced by approximately 70% since 1950, aerial insectivores loss=
es are around 10% per year, many once common species are becoming increasing=
ly uncommon, if not rare. With all this news, which is based on very solid p=
eer reviewed science, one would think that people as a whole and certainly n=
aturalists, would change their ways.
>         The well educated naturalist/birder has many things to consider th=
ese days. Will our love for birds cause us to do more harm than good? If we d=
rive countless miles in search of list birds, are we hypocritical to demand s=
omething be done about climate change? How far is too far to drive in a day?=
 How close is too close when photographing birds? Is feeding birds ok? Will m=
y use of playbacks be too disruptive? There are many questions we might ask o=
urselves or others.
>=20
> Let=E2=80=99s examine these issues one at a time.
>=20
> Chasing birds - This activity has a very heavy carbon footprint. Some bird=
ers travel immense distances just to add a single species to a list.=20
>=20
> Photographing birds - Nearly all of us have seen birders and photographers=
 get too close to birds. Sometimes flushing a bird is due to a simple miscal=
culation. However, sometimes it is not. Unethical behaviour is quite common w=
ith photographers getting too close to birds in an attempt to get a better s=
hot. If a bird is flushed, it is likely time to back off and/or change ones a=
pproach. This is true for those of us with a camera or without.
>=20
> Playbacks/mobbing calls - Use of mobbing calls has become quite common in N=
B. Opinions on their use vary. Some claim they should never be used. Others f=
eel that their use is generally OK outside of breeding season or outside of p=
opular birding areas. For most of us, it is a judgement call. However, there=
 is no doubt that playbacks of any type can be disruptive during breeding se=
ason. Anyone using them around breeding birds should have a very good reason=
 for their use (like taking part in an official study).
>=20
> Feeding birds - This activity is likely pretty benign in general. However,=
 disease can be spread at feeders and the production of bird food does have a=
 footprint of its own. On an overpopulated planet, everything we do has pote=
ntial to be harmful in some way.
>=20
>         So, what is a birder to do? One suggestion is to think about all o=
f these things every time we leave our homes, start up our cars or reach for=
 our gadgets. We can enjoy nature without destroying it. The information gat=
hered by amateur birders is extremely valuable. Many of us have taken part i=
n backyard bird counts, breeding bird surveys, migration counts and more. So=
me of us have discovered unknown bird populations, previously unknown concen=
tration points, and of coarse numerous vagrants.=20
>         For me, I can=E2=80=99t help but think about my footprint on the e=
arth, whenever I plan a trip. That is why I am generally not seen at rare bi=
rd stakeouts or out chasing individual birds. I find these activities to be w=
ay too consumptive. Instead, I tend to search for the interesting birds near=
 my home. Or if I do venture far, I try to spend significant periods of time=
 there, pick up goods along the way and/or fill my vehicle with other birder=
s in an attempt to lower our collective footprint. In doing this I have miss=
ed out on seeing some rarities. However, I have found a fair number of my ow=
n and have made other discovers of importance (i.e. hawk migration concentra=
tion points).
>         There are still many discoveries we can make. As the climate chang=
es, unusual phenomenon could become more common. Sea-ice is being reduced al=
lowing sea- birds to cross from the Pacific to the Atlantic Basin. Storm str=
engths are increasing which will leave more displaced birds far from their n=
ormal ranges. Breeding and wintering ranges are moving north. There are so m=
any things to discover and document.=20
>         It is my hope that all of us will be open to learning about the st=
ate of the world and how we contribute to it.
>=20
> For the birds,
>=20
> Todd Watts
> Bocabec, NB
>=20
>=20
> NatureNB guidelines  http://users.xplornet.com/~maryspt/NNB/nnbe.html
> NatureNB -- The Mailing List - Xplornet
> users.xplornet.com
> NatureNB -- The Mailing List. fran=C3=A7ais. The NatureNB list was created=
 for people interested in the animal and plant l