[NatureNS] Red-necked Grebe

From: Paul Murray <pwmurray.murray911@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 19:28:20 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--f403045f409e293c570566daeab1

Thank you Lois. My birding adventures in Florida were fantastic and I can't
wait for my daughter to rent another condo next year so I can slide down
and do some more.

I must apologize if anyone in the group had trouble viewing the gallery
today via the link I sent out yesterday.  A few files somehow got corrupted
so I needed to create a new gallery.  The upside is that there are now more
of my Florida wildlife pictures included!   Please note: all of the birds
and animals represented are wild and free roaming - even the ones at
Gatorland.  The egret rookery at Gatorland exists because of the
alligators.  The birds recognize the protection from predators that the
gators provide and the payment they make for the "service" is the loss of
some of their youngsters when they fall from the nest.  As far as the
Orlando Wetlands Park is concerned, you do not want to wander around there
after dark.  Not only are there alligators, but snakes and other nasty
critters also roam the trails at night!  As a photographer, it was hard to
remember to look around after you take your eye from the camera and before
stepping out.  My closest "walk-by" with a wide awake gator was only 6 ft
and I did not know he was there until after I passed him by and another
visitor told me to look back!.

The gallery link is now:
https://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2018-A/n-ZwRWNt

Paul Murray
Dartmouth=E2=80=8B

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
wrote:

> Thanks for the great pictures, Paul.  Sounds like a wonderful trip!  #147
> of the Snowy Egret landing is worth a prize!
>
> Lois Codling
>

> On 3/6/2018 10:53 PM, Paul Murray wrote:
>
> 2018-Mar-06
>
> There was a *Red-necked Grebe* this morning in the lagoon beside the
> Bailey Bridge at Rainbow Haven.
>
> Also, found a *baby seal hauled out *at Three Fathom Harbour.
>
> I have added pictures of them to my online gallery:
>
> https://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2018/n-7dznq4
>
> Please note that my annual gallery this year is so far primarily of birds
> I found in Orlando FL. during a trip in January.   I twice visited the
> Orlando Wetlands Park - a man made final effluent treatment marsh for
> Orlando's reclaimed waste water.  It comprises 19 miles of trails/berms,
> 200 species of birds, and lots of other wildlife!  I walked 10 miles one
> day and didn't even notice as the wildlife was so enthralling!  If anyone
> is going down to Orlando this spring, it is definitely worth the short 20
> mile drive.  The park is located in Christmas FL., east of Orlando.  Migh=
> need GPS to find it as signage is lacking.  Fantastic place - but don't
> step on the alligators - web site: www.cityoforlando.net/wetlands.
>
> I also had lots of fun at Gatorland in Orlando.  Photographers come from
> all over just to see the nesting Egrets and Wood Storks, etc.  The gators
> are cool but the birds and facilities to see/photograph them are better!
> Lake Apopka Nature Preserve area is good too but partially closed due to
> hurricane Irma damages.
>
> Paul Murray
> Dartmouth

--f403045f409e293c570566daeab1

nt size=3D"2">Thank you Lois. My birding adventures in Florida were fantast=
ic and I can&#39;t wait for my daughter to rent another condo next year so =
I can slide down and do some more.</font></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-size:large"><font size=3D"2">I must apologize if anyone in the group h=
ad trouble viewing the gallery today via the link I sent out yesterday.=C2=
=A0 A few files somehow got corrupted so I needed to create a new gallery.=
=C2=A0 The upside is that there are now more of my Florida wildlife picture=
s included! =C2=A0 Please note: all of the birds and animals represented ar=
e wild and free roaming - even the ones at Gatorland.=C2=A0 The egret rooke=
ry at Gatorland exists because of the alligators.=C2=A0 The birds recognize=
 the protection from predators that the gators provide and the payment they=
 make for the &quot;service&quot; is the loss of some of their youngsters w=
hen they fall from the nest.=C2=A0 As far as the Orlando Wetlands Park is c=
oncerned, you do not want to wander around there after dark.=C2=A0 Not only=
 are there alligators, but snakes and other nasty critters also roam the tr=
ails at night!=C2=A0 As a photographer, it was hard to remember to look aro=
und after you take your eye from the camera and before stepping out.=C2=A0 =
My closest &quot;walk-by&quot; with a wide awake gator was only 6 ft and I =
did not know he was there until after I passed him by and another visitor t=
old me to look back!. =C2=A0</font></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=
=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-s=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><font size=3D"2"><a href=3D"ht=
tps://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2018-A/n-ZwRWNt">https://scranl=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-size:large"><font size=3D"2">Paul Murray</font></div=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Lois Codling <span d=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca" target=3D"_bl=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Thanks for the great pictures, Paul.=C2=A0 Sounds like a wonderful trip=
!=C2=A0
    #147 of the Snowy Egret landing is worth a prize!<span class=3D"HOEnZb"=
M, Paul Murray
      wrote:<br>
          this morning in the lagoon beside the Bailey Bridge at Rainbow
          Haven.</div>
            out=C2=A0</b>at Three Fathom Harbour.</div>
          online gallery:=C2=A0</div>
.com/Nature/Nature-2018/n-7dznq4" target=3D"_blank">https://scranlocker.smu=
          this year is so far primarily of birds I found in Orlando FL.
          during a trip in January. =C2=A0 I twice visited the Orlando
          Wetlands Park - a man made final effluent treatment marsh for
          Orlando&#39;s reclaimed waste water.=C2=A0 It comprises 19 miles =
of
          trails/berms, 200 species of birds, and lots of other
          wildlife!=C2=A0 I walked 10 miles one day and didn&#39;t even not=
ice as
          the wildlife was so enthralling!=C2=A0 If anyone is going down to
          Orlando this spring, it is definitely worth the short 20 mile
          drive.=C2=A0 The park is located in Christmas FL., east of
          Orlando.=C2=A0 Might need GPS to find it as signage is lacking.=
=C2=A0
          Fantastic place - but don&#39;t step on the alligators - web site=
:
          in Orlando.=C2=A0 Photographers come from all over just to see th=
          nesting Egrets and Wood Storks, etc.=C2=A0 The gators are cool bu=
          the birds and facilities to see/photograph them are better!=C2=A0
          Lake Apopka Nature Preserve area is good too but partially
          closed due to hurricane Irma damages.<br>

--f403045f409e293c570566daeab1--