[NatureNS] Purple Finch and RT Hawk

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 04:26:20 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Yesterday many Purple Finch in nearby mixed woods were in full cheery song. Very nice to hear their bubbly tunes. There was a Starling like down slur at the end of many songs which I had not heard PF do before. It can be seen in the following spectrogram as a downward slanting line in the spectrogram below.
eBird list with song https://ebird.org/canada/view/checklist/S43462330
or MacCauley (the one at top left) https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?mediaType=a&q=purple%20finch

Also along the way we heard the Red-tailed Hawk scream ahead of us on the road. It then flew criss-crossing overhead a few times before circling into the distant trees. To me this suggested it might have a nest nearby (too early?) and perceived us as a possible threat. The scream gets heard a lot but this time it seemed to have a meaning.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co