[NatureNS] Spring first arrivals

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 11:53:46 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

l&amp;quot;,&amp;quot;Android Emoji&amp;quot;,EmojiSymbols; font-s
Agree with what you all are saying. I can only give you my take on this. When figuring out 2014-17 First Arrival dates by looking at eBird data and NS Birds magazine (which gathers from submitted observations, eBird, NatureNS, plus other sources) certain species were very difficult to determine a date for due to overwintering records- these 4years largely determined the final species list.

And I understand the goal is to create a database with definite entries requiring no guessing whatsoever on anybody’s part to assess change in Arrival dates over the long term, if any. Making it it useful to students, researchers and others. Take Grackles, there were a surprising number reported in N NS this winter. Lots of comments like “Wow, never had one here in the winter before.” Yes, everyone will notice when the main influx begins in their locations. Problem is, determining the exact arrival date for the species in our province is messy since many were already here. So dates for listed for Grackles would have to be excluded were a study evaluating climate change using this table- but how would they know that?

I am going to forward your insights to others. This is a new initiative and your input is valuable. Please keep comments and criticisms coming.

Nancy

Sent from my iPad