[NatureNS] Spring first arrivals

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 12:50:56 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-A6B6E5DF-ED95-4B54-AE63-C6A62A5619AC

I like John=E2=80=99s idea of a separate table for the probable spring arriv=
als. It would be a handy record to have. I am always referring to All the Bi=
rds of Nova Scotia by Ian McLaren to get a sense of trends.=20

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 19, 2018, at 11:49 AM, Alix d'Entremont <alixdentremont@hotmail.com=
> wrote:
>=20
> Thanks for the comments, Eric. We are always open to suggestions and appre=
ciate your concerns. Those involved in the creation of the 'Spring First Arr=
ivals' initiative are trying to provide useful and engaging content for the b=
irding community. I find the language in your e-mail a bit aggressive - we'r=
e all on the same team! I do not have a PhD in statistics, but it is my unde=
rstanding that the limitations intrinsic to a single "arrival date" for an e=
ntire province would render such a record less useful for species whose arri=
val or passage through our province is less obvious. Anyone looking to analy=
ze movements of those species will likely get better results from a larger d=
ataset where parameters can be adjusted to fit their needs. Please enlighten=
 the cabal if you think otherwise.
alf of Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca>
> Sent: March 19, 2018 9:07 AM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Spring first arrivals
> =20
> Hello Nancy,
>=20
> So lots of species - Common Eiders, loons, the Scoters, most common gulls,=
 Robins, on and on - are excluded from this Citizen Science project.
>=20
> I think that the anonymous cabal (I know who they are; I am just being fac=
etious) that has established these criteria and  the list should think again=
. There are many good field birders in Nova Scotia who know their local patc=
hes very well and can make good informed judgements about what has arrived a=
nd what has been around all winter.=20
>=20
> With such a constipated list we will certainly miss new and significant in=
formation about many species. I don't think that is necessary and it is cert=
ainly not desirable.=20
alf of nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
> Sent: March 19, 2018 7:04:16 AM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Spring first arrivals
> =20
> These no doubt are Spring First Arrivals, arriving via the route you menti=
oned. So I will use this opportunity to clarify some of the reasoning behind=
 the species list on the NSBS Spring First Arrivals table. http://www.nsbird=
society.ca/library/resources/spring-first-arrivals
>=20
> The reason these species are not part of this NSBS dataset: We have exclud=
ed species who have significant overwintering populations in some part of NS=
 (see Conclusion section below table), to reduce any entries that require as=
sumptions on our part. For example, did those RB Gulls get blown in from a n=
earby wintering population? Or were the Lesser Black-backs (always a tongue t=
wister) ones already present in SW NS (probably not)? Even Baltimore Orioles=
 got nixed due to ambiguity.=20
>=20
> NatureNS will be getting regular updates on Spring First Arrivals as the m=
igration season progresses. So please post any sightings.=20
>=20
> Nancy
>=20
> Sent from my iPad
>=20
> On Mar 18, 2018, at 9:07 PM, Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca> wrote:
>=20
>> Two that I believe qualify, with my justification:
>>=20
>> Ring-billed Gull - March 18. 10 bright full adults roosting with Herring G=
ulls off Privateer Park, Liverpool, Queens Co., were not present earlier. Th=
roughout the winter 1-2 Ring-bills, usually first-winter (occasionally adult=
s) have been present.
>>=20
>> Lesser Black-backed Gull - March 11. An adult graellsii arrived among roo=
sting Herring and Greater Black-backed Gulls off Privateer Park, Liverpool, Q=
ueens Co., slept for a while, and then headed off seaward. The timing is con=
sistent with northward movement from wintering areas in the southeastern  US=
A (likely toward nesting areas in W Greenland or Iceland, although no doubt b=
y easy stages so early in the season).
>>=20
>> Eric Mills
>>=20

--Apple-Mail-A6B6E5DF-ED95-4B54-AE63-C6A62A5619AC

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">I like John=E2=80=99s idea of a separate ta=
ble for the probable spring arrivals. It would be a handy record to have. I a=
m always referring to All the Birds of Nova Scotia by Ian McLaren to get a s=
'Entremont &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:alixdentremont@hotmail.com">alixdentremont@=

">

family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;" dir=3D"ltr">