Re[2]: [NatureNS] Spring first arrivals

From: Ian McLaren <I.A.McLaren@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 22:13:18 +0000

 around the province this winter.
--_000_YQXPR01MB06773446B58757DA9E9B0D75CDAA0YQXPR01MB0677CANP_

We do have tons of first arrival dates  in 60+ years of NS Birds. I used th=
em  to suss out swallow arrivals a few years back. Certainly the keen birde=
rs of yore knew the difference between new arrivals and overwintered birds =
of various species, and the arguments discriminating them were often invoke=
d in NS birds for species like Am. Robin. Arrival dates have to be analysed=
 more carefully than I did or swallows, because larger samples through time=
 will give earlier first arrivals as the 'normal' distribution' is expanded=
.

Ian M.