Re[4]: [NatureNS] Cormorants and Great Blues

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 23:20:21 +0000

--------=_MB4C06A131-C294-4E9C-9F3C-280A1937CD39

Thanks Lance,
     On the question of mechanisms I very much doubt that high acidity is=
=20
a factor. Perhaps chicken droppings are quite different from Cormorant=20
but, thinking back to chicken roosts indoors there was a strong odor of=20
ammonia; thus basic. And further, many temperate trees are tolerant of=20
highly acidic soils. If these droppings are indeed acidic then the=20
droppings in question should should have a "sauerstoff" taste; like=20
vinegar or sauerkraut.
     If cormorants prefer rocky nesting sites then that in itself could=20
be a factor. If, for example, 90% of the potential rooting depth is rock=20
or coarse sand (>2mm), then only 10% of the volume is available to hold=20
water or nutrients so it would be vulnerable to dry weather and an=20
increase in NH4NO3 deposition which would be harmless on a decent soil=20
(90% <2mm) might lead to rank annual herbaceous growth (e.g. Atriplex)=20
and high rates of water usage until dry.
     No doubt, as you say, the rate of deposition per unit area would be=20
a key factor. But I continue to wonder what happens in areas free of=20
winter kill potential.
YT, DW, Kentville