[NatureNS] Kentville Fox Hill birds

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 09:00:04 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-E6D43976-B083-4C5E-A3B3-4545FC3F5CE0

eBird lists YB Sapsucker as rare too. It is in winter but a dime a dozen her=
e in summer and many other places in NS too. I find this strange since eBird=
 is very up to date on most every other aspect of bird distribution.=20

Evening Grosbeak are residents in this part of Kings Co (southern corner). T=
hey can be heard all year in most forested areas. =20

For anyone on FB, Richard has an amazing shot of a N Mockingbird in flight, l=
anding gear up and mouth open. I can hear the hoarse call it was probably ma=
king just looking at the pic. It may be in his eBird checklist too or photo g=
allery?

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings  Co.=20

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 8, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> There's an old orchard area between Fox  Hill subdivision and the Dykes by=
 the Cornwallis River, in Kentville, with bushes and trees- quite open and g=
ood for dog walking and birding. This morning there was a pair of Mockingbir=
ds chasing each other around and singing from a bush. They are listed as rar=
e in Ebird, although in that particular subdivision they have actually been r=
egular for years, and probably nest.=20
>=20
> Rarer to me, I heard the chip notes of Evening grosbeaks, and saw 2 female=
s in a high tree, which then flew off.  They are the first of this species I=
 have seen since early 2017, although I have seen occasional reports this wi=
nter in the county. There were also 5 separate Cardinals singing. See today'=
s ebird for the full list.
> --=20
> Richard stern
> sternrichard@gmail.com
> Sent from Gmail Mobile
> On my iPhone

--Apple-Mail-E6D43976-B083-4C5E-A3B3-4545FC3F5CE0

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">eBird lists YB Sapsucker as rare too. It is=
 in winter but a dime a dozen here in summer and many other places in NS too=
. I find this strange since eBird is very up to date on most every other asp=
dents in this part of Kings Co (southern corner). They can be heard all year=
ichard has an amazing shot of a N Mockingbird in flight, landing gear up and=
 mouth open. I can hear the hoarse call it was probably making just looking a=
t the pic. It may be in his eBird checklist too or photo gallery?<br><div><b=
:03 PM, Richard Stern &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternric=
iv dir=3D"auto">There's an old orchard area between Fox &nbsp;Hill subdivisi=
on and the Dykes by the Cornwallis River, in Kentville, with bushes and tree=
s- quite open and good for dog walking and birding. This morning there was a=
 pair of Mockingbirds chasing each other around and singing from a bush. The=
y are listed as rare in Ebird, although in that particular subdivision they h=
ave actually been regular for years, and probably nest.&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D=
ening grosbeaks, and saw 2 females in a high tree, which then flew off.&nbsp=
; They are the first of this species I have seen since early 2017, although I=
 have seen occasional reports this winter in the county. There were also 5 s=
eparate Cardinals singing. See today's ebird for the full list.</div>-- <br>=
">Richard stern<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gm=

--Apple-Mail-E6D43976-B083-4C5E-A3B3-4545FC3F5CE0--