[NatureNS] Feederwatch Report 2017-2018, Fairmont, Ant. Co.

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 11:31:24 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--00000000000079751505696b44f4

This is my 16th consecutive year reporting my weekly (Nov. to Apr) feeder
tallies to Project Feederwatch (https://feederwatch.org/). Basically, any
wild bird at your feeders, or drawn in nearby by the presence of vegetation
or the birds already there (i.e. we don't count birds simply flying
through), are counted. And by this rule, I have had 49 species over the
years.

I had no Sharp-shinned Hawk recorded this year, nor any seen between data
collection dates, either. This is not unprecedented, but is unusual.
Evening Grosbeaks only showed up once, and then only two of them. This was
a far cry from 2003 where I had them more frequently, and often over 10
birds per visit. No Pine Siskins, no Common Redpolls. Even in a low year, I
usually get one or two redpolls.

I didn't get a lot of carrion this year, so no odd scavengers showed up,
just the regular Blue Jay, American Crow, Common Raven and Bald Eagle. None
of my carrion was shot (   'cause I knew Helene would ask! :)   ).

And, as reported last week, I have had American Robins feeding on
corn...I've confirmed this since the last email exchange on the topic. This
was new to me.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--00000000000079751505696b44f4

 to Apr) feeder tallies to Project Feederwatch (<a href=3D"https://feederwa=
tch.org/">https://feederwatch.org/</a>). Basically, any wild bird at your f=
eeders, or drawn in nearby by the presence of vegetation or the birds alrea=
dy there (i.e. we don&#39;t count birds simply flying through), are counted=
v>I had no Sharp-shinned Hawk recorded this year, nor any seen between data=
 collection dates, either. This is not unprecedented, but is unusual. Eveni=
ng Grosbeaks only showed up once, and then only two of them. This was a far=
 cry from 2003 where I had them more frequently, and often over 10 birds pe=
r visit. No Pine Siskins, no Common Redpolls. Even in a low year, I usually=
f carrion this year, so no odd scavengers showed up, just the regular Blue =
Jay, American Crow, Common Raven and Bald Eagle. None of my carrion was sho=
t (=C2=A0 =C2=A0&#39;cause I knew Helene would ask! :)=C2=A0 =C2=A0).</div>=
feeding on corn...I&#39;ve confirmed this since the last email exchange on =
ll"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature">_________________________________<b=

--00000000000079751505696b44f4--