[NatureNS] Great Blues in decline?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:20:13 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-DF176EB2-2590-410F-A52A-40585C95AAD5

Many share the view, myself included, that supplemental feeding of chicken c=
arcasses to eagles causes harm. Eagle population increases lead to outright p=
redation on young of other species as outlined below, threaten similar speci=
es through habitat displacement (RT Hawks were mentioned by one person) and m=
ight alter the behaviour and health of the Bald Eagle itself. Is it really n=
ecessary to watch Bald Eagles attack one another over food for our enjoyment=
? There is plenty of dead stuff around for scavengers, like eagles, to feed o=
n (road kill, unwanted parts after hunters dress their deer, small scale far=
m remains etc). Industrial  carcass feeding was OK(?) when eagle numbers wer=
e small but is unnecessary now.

An issue that needs some serious consideration.=20

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 15, 2018, at 11:28 AM, Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca> wro=
te:
>=20
> I am just re-reading some of the Nature NS exchanges.  The ecological succ=
ession of coastal island forests described by Lance is fascinating.  I am re=
minded of a recent discussion with Dr Malcolm Hunter.  He asked about our ea=
gle populations.  It seems that they are growing all over the eastern seaboa=
rd and this has lead to the disappearance of entire heron colonies in the US=
.  I understand this is occurring here also to some extent.  I shared with h=
im the impacts the eagle populations seem to be having on loon chicks recent=
ly.
>=20
> It's all about balance.  Industrial farming and other human-caused stresso=
rs, knock ecosystem components out of kilter, but there are some ways to min=
imize our impacts if we want to address the issues.  Rendering plants for po=
ultry carcasses is one easy fix.  Are the cormorants partly filling a niche t=
hat is being vacated by declining heron populations?  (I'm a 'forest dweller=
', so I am less familiar with our coastal dynamics.)
> Donna Crossland
>=20
>> On 2018-03-29 12:26 PM, Laviolette, Lance wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> =20
>> That=E2=80=99s the usual cycle of Great Blue Heron and Double-creasted Co=
rmorant nesting on Nova Scotia Islands.
>> =20
>> Grass > Brambles> Shrubs > Trees > double-crested cormorants/great blue h=
erons > Trees > Shrubs/brambles > Grass
>> =20
>> Guano is a great fertilizer, rich in nitrogen, phosphate and potassium, b=
ut like any fertilizer, too much is not a good thing and as everyone who has=
 visited a cormorant or great blue heron colony knows, they produce a lot of=
 guano.
>> =20
>> The Great Blue Herons move to start the process on another treed island o=
nce the trees are all killed and can no longer support a nest structure (alt=
hough I did come across Great Blue Herons nesting on an island in a lake in Y=
armouth County once).
>> =20
>> The Grass stage is prolonged as long as gulls and/or the cormorants start=
 nesting on the ground. Common Eiders can be in the mix at several stages.
>> =20
>> The Grass stage ends and plant succession begins when these ground nestin=
g species are forced to move off the island and erosion hasn=E2=80=99t reduc=
ed the island to mostly bare rock.
>> =20
>> Cheers,
>> =20
>> Lance
>> =20
>> Lance Laviolette
>> Glen Robertson, Ontario
>> =20
>> =20
>> =20
n back in the =E2=80=9970=E2=80=99s that cormorants started to get more abun=
dant and really liked that island.  Lotsa bushes on the island now; all the s=
pruce trees died out.
>> =20
richment problem here in NS..similar in a way to herring gulls?
>> Nick
>> =20
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:02 AM, John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico=
.ca> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Two Double-crested Cormorants and six Great Blue Herons arrived at the Jo=
hns Island nesting colony in Yarmouth Harbour this morning. There seemed to b=
e more cormorants crouching in grass, perhaps recovering from their journey.=
 I couldn=E2=80=99t tell for sure.
>> None of these were there yesterday when I checked.
>> John
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>=20
>>=20
>> =20
>> --
>> Dr. N.M.Hill
>> Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conservation
>> 424 Bentley Road, Berwick, NS, B0P 1E0
>>=20
>> phone 902-698-0416
>=20
>=20
>=20
>   			 		=09
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-DF176EB2-2590-410F-A52A-40585C95AAD5

hat supplemental feeding of chicken carcasses to eagles causes harm. Eagle p=
opulation increases lead to outright predation on young of other species as o=
utlined below, threaten similar species through habitat displacement (RT Haw=
ks were mentioned by one person) and might alter the behaviour and health of=
 the Bald Eagle itself. Is it really necessary to watch Bald Eagles attack o=
ne another over food for our enjoyment? There is plenty of dead stuff around=
 for scavengers, like eagles, to feed on (road kill, unwanted parts after hu=
nters dress their deer, small scale farm remains etc). Industrial &nbsp;carc=
ass feeding was OK(?) when eagle numbers were small but is unnecessary now.<=
dcrossland@eastlink.ca&gt; wro=