[NatureNS] Origin of Indigo Buntings

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 14:51:04 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_129Hys9UUYIY6FwFBX4Wdw)

Cool, John.  Thank you!
Lois Codling

On 4/19/2018 1:05 PM, John Kearney wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I did a little analysis this morning of weather, bird distributions,
> and wind modeling. It looks like 2 different sources arising from the
> same weather system brought the Indigo Buntings. The first group was
> off the coast of the Carolinas on the evening of 15 April and arrived
> in western Nova Scotia on the afternoon of 16 April. The other group
> left or was in the vicinity of Bermuda the evening of 16 April
> arriving over an extensive geographical area of Nova Scotia on the
> afternoon of the 17^th but focused on the South Shore. This last group
> was accompanied by some Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Blue Grosbeaks
> which are common spring migrants in Bermuda in the spring. I suspect
> most birds arrived via Bermuda.
>
> This has probably happened fairly regularly in the past but we are
> more aware of it now because it is a species that is so noticeable at
> bird feeders and lawns and people have a reporting tool on Facebook.
>
> John

--Boundary_(ID_129Hys9UUYIY6FwFBX4Wdw)

  <head>
  </head>
    Cool, John.  Thank you!<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d3d7f8$467b66f0$d37234d0$@ns.sympatico.ca">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
            style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Hi
            all,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-CA">I
            did a little analysis this morning of weather, bird
            distributions, and wind modeling. It looks like 2 different
            sources arising from the same weather system brought the
            Indigo Buntings. The first group was off the coast of the
            Carolinas on the evening of 15 April and arrived in western
            Nova Scotia on the afternoon of 16 April. The other group
            left or was in the vicinity of Bermuda the evening of 16
            April arriving over an extensive geographical area of Nova
            Scotia on the afternoon of the 17<sup>th</sup> but focused
            on the South Shore. This last group was accompanied by some
            Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Blue Grosbeaks which are common
            spring migrants in Bermuda in the spring. I suspect most
            birds arrived via Bermuda.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-CA">This
            has probably happened fairly regularly in the past but we
            are more aware of it now because it is a species that is so
            noticeable at bird feeders and lawns and people have a
            reporting tool on Facebook.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-CA">John<o:p></o:p></span></p>

--Boundary_(ID_129Hys9UUYIY6FwFBX4Wdw)--