Re[2]: [NatureNS] Question about bird bodies

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 00:30:13 +0000
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0000000000004630b2056ab57ee8

You're right, David. In fact, many people collect mortalities for the StFX
collection withou a permit, and the local DNR is aware of this. It helps if
the person emails me that they've picked up a critter and will be bringing
it to me. Similarly, people may find a road killed raptor, pick it up and
bring it to DNR to get a taxidermy permit. I have yet to hear of anyone
getting charged at the front desk for not getting the permit first.  They
also make allowances for good-hearted people bringing in injured wildlife
to Helene, or other rehabbers.

Randy

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 8:17 PM David, <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Hi All, especially Randy and Lance,
>     I don't doubt that your comments are correct but it seems to me that
> laws based on Boolean logic may do more harm than good in a world that is
> many shades of grey.
>     When a bird, or other animal, dies it may be relevant to know why. An=
> the why can be established only if the body is recovered. And the
> opportunity for recovery may be transient.
>     Consequently a regulation which say in effect that someone who
> recovers a body is guilty until proven innocent is bad law and poor
> wildlife management.
>     Surely such regulations need to be flexible and surely enforcement is=
.
> Or is it ?
>     I don't know the final outcome but some decades ago an enterprising
> Newfoundlander was earning pin money by making trinkets from Moose antler=
s,
> which were otherwise destined for the landfill, and charged with violatin=
> some sweeping regulation against sale of wildlife body parts.
>
> Yt, DW, Kentville

e of this. It helps if the person emails me that they&#39;ve picked up a cr=
itter and will be bringing it to me. Similarly, people may find a road kill=
ed raptor, pick it up and bring it to DNR to get a taxidermy permit. I have=
 yet to hear of anyone getting charged at the front desk for not getting th=
e permit first.=C2=A0 They also make allowances for good-hearted people bri=
nging in injured wildlife to Helene, or other rehabbers.<div dir=3D"auto"><=
uote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 8:17 PM David, &lt;<a href=3D"=
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #cc=
c solid;padding-left:1ex">
&#39;t doubt that your comments are correct but it seems to me that laws ba=
sed on Boolean logic may do more harm than good in a world that is many sha=
des of grey.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 When a bird, or other animal, dies it =
may be relevant to know why. And the why can be established only if the bod=
y is recovered. And the opportunity for recovery may be transient.=C2=A0</d=
iv><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Consequently a regulation which say in effect that so=
meone who recovers a body is guilty until proven innocent is bad law and po=
or wildlife management.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Surely such regulatio=
ns need to be flexible and surely enforcement is. Or is it ?</div><div>=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 I don&#39;t know the final outcome but some decades ago an enter=
prising Newfoundlander was earning pin money by making trinkets from Moose =
antlers, which were otherwise destined for the landfill, and charged with v=
iolating some sweeping regulation against sale of wildlife body parts. =C2=
.ca" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">mmillard@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</div=

=3D"noreferrer">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div>

://A2BADAC0964543AB87DAF986C0C5407C@millard" type=3D"cite" class=3D"m_-2539=
537435681930145cite2">

hank you=20
gentlemen. Good thing I didn=E2=80=99t rush right to the shore and get it. =
I expect it=20
has washed away now. Seems such a waste of such a beautiful creature.=20

--0000000000004630b2056ab57ee8--