Re[2]: [NatureNS] Question about bird bodies

From: Joanne Cook <jocook.ns@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 21:01:00 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-6959AD3F-C182-45F0-AFC3-E13F3C42FA5F

I also wonder how far this is taken. I have collected - as did my kids when t=
hey were little - feathers from gull carcasses, a seal jawbone, etc. Am I un=
wittingly a miscreant in the eyes of the law?

Cheers,
Joanne

___________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good=
 with hot sauce.=20

> On Apr 25, 2018, at 8:30 PM, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> You're right, David. In fact, many people collect mortalities for the StFX=
 collection withou a permit, and the local DNR is aware of this. It helps if=
 the person emails me that they've picked up a critter and will be bringing i=
t to me. Similarly, people may find a road killed raptor, pick it up and bri=
ng it to DNR to get a taxidermy permit. I have yet to hear of anyone getting=
 charged at the front desk for not getting the permit first.  They also make=
 allowances for good-hearted people bringing in injured wildlife to Helene, o=
r other rehabbers.
>=20
> Randy=20
>=20
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 8:17 PM David, <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
>> Hi All, especially Randy and Lance,
>>     I don't doubt that your comments are correct but it seems to me that l=
aws based on Boolean logic may do more harm than good in a world that is man=
y shades of grey.
>>     When a bird, or other animal, dies it may be relevant to know why. An=
d the why can be established only if the body is recovered. And the opportun=
ity for recovery may be transient.=20
>>     Consequently a regulation which say in effect that someone who recove=
rs a body is guilty until proven innocent is bad law and poor wildlife manag=
ement.=20
>>     Surely such regulations need to be flexible and surely enforcement is=
. Or is it ?
>>     I don't know the final outcome but some decades ago an enterprising N=
ewfoundlander was earning pin money by making trinkets from Moose antlers, w=
hich were otherwise destined for the landfill, and charged with violating so=
me sweeping regulation against sale of wildlife body parts. =20
>>    =20
>> Yt, DW, Kentville
 and get it. I expect it has washed away now. Seems such a waste of such a b=
eautiful creature. Marg

--Apple-Mail-6959AD3F-C182-45F0-AFC3-E13F3C42FA5F

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">I also wonder how far this is taken. I have=
ignature">___________________<div>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, f=
>On Apr 25, 2018, at 8:30 PM, Randy Lauff &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@=
e=3D"cite"><div><div dir=3D"auto">You're right, David. In fact, many people c=
ollect mortalities for the StFX collection withou a permit, and the local DN=
R is aware of this. It helps if the person emails me that they've picked up a=
 critter and will be bringing it to me. Similarly, people may find a road ki=
lled raptor, pick it up and bring it to DNR to get a taxidermy permit. I hav=
e yet to hear of anyone getting charged at the front desk for not getting th=
e permit first.&nbsp; They also make allowances for good-hearted people brin=
ging in injured wildlife to Helene, or other rehabbers.<div dir=3D"auto"><br=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 8:17 PM David, &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc soli=
d;padding-left:1ex">
t doubt that your comments are correct but it seems to me that laws based on=
 Boolean logic may do more harm than good in a world that is many shades of g=
rey.</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; When a bird, or other animal, dies it may be re=
levant to know why. And the why can be established only if the body is recov=
ered. And the opportunity for recovery may be transient.&nbsp;</div><div>&nb=
sp; &nbsp; Consequently a regulation which say in effect that someone who re=
covers a body is guilty until proven innocent is bad law and poor wildlife m=
anagement.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; Surely such regulations need to be f=
lexible and surely enforcement is. Or is it ?</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; I don'=
t know the final outcome but some decades ago an enterprising Newfoundlander=
 was earning pin money by making trinkets from Moose antlers, which were oth=
erwise destined for the landfill, and charged with violating some sweeping r=
egulation against sale of wildlife body parts. &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp=
;&nbsp;</div>
=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">mmillard@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</div>
"noreferrer">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div>