[NatureNS] Question about bird bodies

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 09:18:23 -0300

I think the reason I asked this was way back, I'd asked if anyone had a use
for the various feathers that were accumulating on my window sills from
visitors to my feeders. It was then I was quoted the laws referred to
lately. I have collected a few for the museum and for Randy's beetles but I
wouldn't be doing the collecting this time and what I would use it for
initially would be part of my work and put up for sale if things turned out
as I planned. I expect the bird has washed away now or been buried by the
storm.
An aside, my grandmother was a milliner, in Annapolis Royal. Long gone
before I came along.
Marg
On 4/25/2018 9:01 PM, Joanne Cook wrote:
> I also wonder how far this is taken. I have collected - as did my kids
> when they were little - feathers from gull carcasses, a seal jawbone,
> etc. Am I unwittingly a miscreant in the eyes of the law?

* the law about possession of feathers was written to stop the
ladies-hats trade in Egret plumes, and I've never heard of its being
enforced about incidentally picked up shed feathers or carcasses taken
to museums.

fred.