[NatureNS] Re: Neonicotinoids extremely damaging to ecosystems - should be

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:35:36 +0000

--------=_MBC3160456-7D6A-4F63-9E40-591F42B90F64

Hi Mary & All,
     Yes I am aware of much of this but my experience as a scientist,=20
local scientific editor and associate editor on a journal persuades me=20
that it is very easy to reach wrong conclusions and, even in the most=20
simple system, very difficult to generate glitch-free results. If one=20
throws into this mix any personal bias or witch hunt then truly reliable=20
conclusions become unlikely.
     In one such cameo, and I have forgotten details so am free to=20
disclose, the three authors were each from different universities, and=20
their data, supposedly log 10 transformations, were clearly not=20
possible. So I asked them to check their transformations which led to a=20
chain of "we are right; you are wrong" letters. Eventually I asked them=20
to photocopy their log tables and explain, by example, how their data =20
were transformed. They were using the tables incorrectly.
     I will not bore you with details but even the most simple test or=20
measure may in fact be white noise if one does not have an exhaustive=20
structure of quality control tests. In several cross Canada blind sample=20
tests involving soil analysis, there was wide scatter around the true of=20
up to 10 fold error.
      I learned early in the game to never trust a mathematical equation=20
in a paper unless I could derive it. The odds are about 2:1 that it will=20
be incorrect in some way. And sometimes rock solid methods/results are=20
shredded by some windbag.

     Do you remember the brief excitement about cold fusion ? Their=20
meter, instead of being null point, was pinned to the left at zero=20
energy release. So they could detect release of energy but not detect=20
the balancing absorption of energy.
     Ground truth is a good foundation from which to start. If Neonics=20
are so tough on bees why is there a glut of honey on the market ?
     Looking back at environmental loss and degradation over the last 78=20
years of my awareness the 50s were natural heaven relative to even the=20
80s. So, I my view, Our present mess is a case of death by a thousand=20
cuts with much of this tied to mindless pursuit of the horizon.
     One should not focus on one minor strand of a great destructive web=20
when as Pogo observed about 1956 "I have seen the enemy and he is us." I=20
spite of the mass killing of insects on the highway it may still not be=20
too late to observe this directly by driving on some warm, calm evening=20
at dusk with a net over the grill. In addition to collisions with=20
insects I suspect that the huge pressure changes associated with high=20
speed truck travel cause many insects to explode along the lines of a=20
French Press effect.
     And increasingly we are face to face with the ultimate threat;=20
climate change. It is misplaced priorities to fuss about chipped paint=20
on a window frame when the house is on fire.
Yt, DW, Kentville