[NatureNS] Re: Neonicotinoids extremely damaging to ecosystems -

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 13:06:38 +0000
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--94eb2c123022f572e8056afc685c

Very good article but what massive effort needed to counter industry
objections. Industry supported organizations are posing as objective
science lobbies and are questioning all ecological agricultural
assumptions: are neonics linked to honeybee declines? Is grass fed beef
really better for the ecosystem than grain fed beef?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018, 8:21 PM Mary Macaulay, <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Very surprised you are not aware and concerned about the extreme
> ecological damage attributed to neonics David. Here=E2=80=99s one link to=
 get you
> started on an unfortunate journey of sad discovery.
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4284392/#!po=3D3.17287
>

> With kindest regards
>
> Mary (Macaulay), P.Eng.
> Owner, Remember Adventures B&B & Caper Cafe
> Bed & Breakfast, Pedal Buggy, bike, kayak, coaster & snowshoe rentals,
> great bird friendly coffee, organic baking, breakfast & pasta, soups,
> stews, vegan curries & chili, pollinator meadow, games & more!!
> (Cafe/Buggies Open Wed to Sunday: 8:00 am - 3 pm; B&B 7 days a week -
> please book via Airbnb)
> HWY 6 & Station Road & Trans-Canada Trail
> Tatamagouche
> RememberAdventures.ca & InsectRecovery.org
> 1-902-293-1533
> Twitter @RememberTata & @InsectRecovery
>
> On Apr 28, 2018, at 7:37 PM, David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter & All,
>     Perhaps not such good news. The neonics ban is I think a case of mob
> rule as opposed to experience based conclusions. Many farmers use Bees an=
> Neonics and they get along fine provided, relying on memory, one doesn't
> use neonics on the field to be pollinated. Entomologists are reluctant to
> get involved in a media firestorm but those who comment privately just
> shake their heads in disbelief and say "What next ?".
>     And for some ground truth, always a good starting point, there was a
> surplus of bees in NS last year. Some hives had to be destroyed because
> management costs can not be covered by honey production alone and there w=
as
> lowered demand for pollination services.
>     And worldwide there is a surplus of honey.
>     Mark Twain observed that a lie can travel around the world while the
> truth is putting on its shoes. And "One of the most striking differences
> between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives."
>     Witch hunts may make the mob feel superior but they end badly.
>
>     On a related vein, I fear for our wild bees. They overwinter in the
> ground and we had very deep frost this year. I have seen Honey Bees in my
> yard but, as I feared, not one wild bee.
>     One should not waste time on non issues, such as neonic use, when the
> great problem, climate change, is extremely serious.
> Yt, DW, Kentville

ltr">On Sat, Apr 28, 2018, 8:21 PM Mary Macaulay, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mar=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #=
ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Very surprised you are not aware and concerned about the extreme ecological=
 damage attributed to neonics David. Here=E2=80=99s one link to get you sta=
rted on an unfortunate journey of sad discovery.
=3D3.17287" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.g=
ov/pmc/articles/PMC4284392/#!po=3D3.17287</a><br>
rds</span></div>
P.Eng.</span></div>
dventures B&amp;B &amp; Caper Cafe</span></div>
st, Pedal Buggy, bike, kayak, coaster &amp; snowshoe rentals, great bird fr=
iendly coffee, organic baking, breakfast &amp; pasta, soups, stews, vegan c=
urries &amp; chili, pollinator meadow, games
 &amp; more!!=C2=A0</span></div>
n Wed to Sunday: 8:00 am - 3 pm; B&amp;B 7 days a week - please book via Ai=
rbnb)</span></div>
on Road &amp;=C2=A0Trans-Canada Trail</span></div>
n></div>
/RememberAdventures.ca" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">RememberAdvent=
ures.ca</a> &amp;
pan></div>
Tata &amp; @InsectRecovery</span></div>
On Apr 28, 2018, at 7:37 PM, David &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com=
" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br=

 case of mob rule as opposed to experience based conclusions. Many farmers =
use Bees and Neonics and they get along fine provided, relying on memory, o=
ne doesn&#39;t use neonics on the field to be
 pollinated. Entomologists are reluctant to get involved in a media firesto=
rm but those who comment privately just shake their heads in disbelief and =
say &quot;What next ?&quot;.=C2=A0</div>
 there was a surplus of bees in NS last year. Some hives had to be destroye=
d because management costs can not be covered by honey production alone and=
 there was lowered demand for pollination
 services.=C2=A0</div>
ld while the truth is putting on its shoes. And &quot;One of the most strik=
ing differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives.&=
quot;=C2=A0</div>
badly.</div>
nter in the ground and we had very deep frost this year. I have seen Honey =
Bees in my yard but, as I feared, not one wild bee.=C2=A0</div>
use, when the great problem, climate change, is extremely serious.</div>
referrer">pce@accesswave.ca</a></div>
=3D"noreferrer">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div>
ca" type=3D"cite" class=3D"m_847037421490358616cite2">
The following is not directly related to nature in Nova Scotia, but might b=
e some day. Apologies if this is seen to be going too far beyond the Nature=
NS culture.<br>
I see in the news that the European Union is banning all neonicotinoids, a =
class of insecticide shown to pose a serious danger to bees. If you are int=
erested in reading about this, there are lots of stories available on the w=
eb, for example on the
_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">
BBC</a>, <a href=3D"https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/27/eu-=
agrees-total-ban-on-bee-harming-pesticides" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefe=
rrer">
The Guardian</a>, and <a href=3D"http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/eur=
opean-union-expands-ban-three-neonicotinoid-pesticides" target=3D"_blank" r=
el=3D"noreferrer">
Science</a>. Might a ban happen in North America sometime? Might Nova Scoti=
a see the end of neonics?<br>
Peter Payzant<br>

--94eb2c123022f572e8056afc685c--