[NatureNS] Beavers with Kits?

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 10:46:06 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I was down on the lakeshore early this morning and heard a beaver slap its tail on the water out of sight off of the boulders beside me. Then I heard this low growl sound which I was trying to record. But I stopped when two beavers emerged from the nearby rocks (I never see two at once) and started circling each other slowly in the water totally oblivious of me and my large black dog standing there. At one point they were moving towards us to about 6’ away! After looking at the pics, taken only with an iPhone, I decided that what I thought was a mating “dance” was probably the beavers taking the kits out for one of their first swims. Not good pics but you can see small dark objects on the water that were most likely kits. Otherwise I believe they were on their parents’ backs. Not a behaviour I have witnessed before so correct me if I am wrong.

The eight or so photos should be viewable going from this one- note the ones with the dark objects in the water very near to them: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/26980272427/in/dateposted-public/