[NatureNS] swallow box clean-out results

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Matthew.Smith@pc.gc.ca
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 06:50:05 -0300

grasses (normal)
--=_alternative 0036063784258281_=

Interesting report Friz.

It is definitely time for flying squirrels to have babies or pups- I think
that is the proper name...

I suspect that several of those nest boxes are used by the same family-
they can have many dens or nests scattered throughout  in their home
range- and they will move around to keep parasite loads lower and keep
predators from detecting them. Surprised that that the young flying
squirrels was by itself.  Usually the mother is quite close and doesn't
like to leave if disturbed.  When I studied flying squirrels for my PhD we
put up 100 nest boxes in and around Fundy National Park and we might have
5 occupied in one season-so your numbers are quite good. In my studies we
also found that populations can go up and down quite dramatically from one
year to the next- they can have 5- 6 young in a litter possibly twice a
year- one in the spring and fall.  So on good years many flying squirrels
are possible!
Cheers,

Matt Smith