Re[2]: Glossy Buckthorn was :Re[4]: [NatureNS] Dog-strangling vine in Nova

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 15:35:48 +0000

&gt;there is much concern.  The truth is, here around Annapolis Roya
--------=_MB7A4480C2-1F39-4462-BE68-4BDEB5A894E1

Hi Jane & All,
     The prejudice against "invasives" is spread if not created by=20
organizations; "Send money and we may be able to overcome this crisis."=20
It helps to have a good crap detector when reading anything and an open=20
mind when looking. There may be exceptions but typically "invasive"=20
plants exploit underutilized real estate. And believe it or not, some=20
try to eradicate an invasive by pulling it out thereby creating=20
underutilized real estate on which it or other "invasives" will be able=20
to flourish.
     Even native plants may take advantage of bare soil and light. In the=
=20
early 80s a graveled logging road with ditches was built near my woodlot=20
and a common but seldom flowering woodland plant, Petasites palmatus=20
with flowers soon became abundant along part of the ditch. It has a=20
pleasant odor and insects like it so I planted some in the Kentville=20
garden. And soon removed every trace from the garden because it started=20
to spread like a bad weed.
     Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) is another victim of=20
misinformation and the perfect weed-free lawn mentality which assigns=20
total control of all living things to the lawn manager. Bees, (including=20
Honey Bees) and other insects are often abundant on these late flowering=20
plants. And they rarely establish new colonies except when transplanted=20
by earth moving equipment. And patches may remain the same size for many=20
decades if they come up against established plant cover. Along flood=20
prone brooks they can slow soil erosion.
     I never appreciated how rapidly secondary succession can change=20
herbaceous plant cover until I visited the same woodlots over a period=20
of decades (78 & 37 yrs). To paraphrase a glib saying; the only constant=20
is change.
      And the very small house lot is similar. Plants come and go; the=20
number of species observed has increased over time but as new ones=20
appear some of the old die out. Enough gossip.
Yt, DW, Kentville