[NatureNS] Second Owl Route - Rhodes Corner to Whynott's Settlement, Maitland

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 00:35:51 +0000

--_000_BLUPR11MB04683F2E3363DBE7805FB326B59B0BLUPR11MB0468namp_

Well it has been very stressing I must say to be able to get my second owl =
route done.  Working late shifts with only one day off in-between was not h=
elping and that one day would show nice and I'd plan the owl outing and bam=
, rain.  Last week Gary Selig and Dorothy Poole joined me and at the first =
stop when it was supposed to clear and have a stretch of nice weather until=
 I would have finished the route it did not.  We were rained out.  So I pla=
nned for tonight Sunday of which it was supposed to be fine.  The next minu=
te I turned around rain again.  Anyhow, I had to work until 21:15 last nigh=
t, so with one other route to run yet, I figured it would be then or bust.

Gary Selig joined me and we started the route at 21:50.  The wind had died =
out nicely and the first stop produced three barred owls.  A man came out a=
nd talked through most of the stop.  We set off for stop number 2 and I rea=
lized when we got there that I had forgotten to pick up the CD player.  So =
back I went.  From then on things ran smooth though.  The wind turbines at =
Whynott's Settlement were very loud and definitely interfered with hearing =
at four of the stops of which only one owl was found.  At the last three st=
ops the wind picked up tremendously.  It was very strong, but still produce=
d two barred owls.  In all nine barred owls is a bit above average for this=
 route, so I was still pleased.  At stop number nine a white-throated sparr=
ow went through it's full call.  At the last stop I heard a call twice, whi=
ch I was positive was a long-eared owl.  It was identical to one of the 35 =
calls that this owl makes.  A call that I have on my play-back for long-ear=
ed.  I even had it written in as a long-eared owl. Embarrassingly, it turne=
d out to be a coyote so the long-eared owl was scratched.  Coyotes were hea=
rd at three or four locations across this route.

James R. Hirtle

LaHave

--_000_BLUPR11MB04683F2E3363DBE7805FB326B59B0BLUPR11MB0468namp_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;" dir=3D"ltr">
 must say to be able to get my second owl route done.&nbsp; Working late sh=
ifts with only one day off in-between was not helping and that one day woul=
d show nice and I'd plan the owl outing
 and bam, rain.&nbsp; Last week Gary Selig and Dorothy Poole joined me and =
at the first stop when it was supposed to clear and have a stretch of nice =
weather until I would have finished the route it did not.&nbsp; We were rai=
ned out.&nbsp; So I planned for tonight Sunday
 of which it was supposed to be fine.&nbsp; The next minute I turned around=
 rain again.&nbsp; Anyhow, I had to work until 21:15 last night, so with on=
e other route to run yet, I figured it would be then or bust.&nbsp;&nbsp;</=
p>
ed the route at 21:50.&nbsp; The wind had died out nicely and the first sto=
p produced three barred owls.&nbsp; A man came out and talked through most =
of the stop.&nbsp; We set off for stop number 2 and
 I realized when we got there that I had forgotten to pick up the CD player=
.&nbsp; So back I went.&nbsp; From then on things ran smooth though.&nbsp; =
The wind turbines at Whynott's Settlement were very loud and definitely int=
erfered with hearing at four of the stops of which
 only one owl was found.&nbsp; At the last three stops the wind picked up t=
remendously.&nbsp; It was very strong, but still produced two barred owls.&=
nbsp; In all nine barred owls is a bit above average for this route, so I w=
as still pleased.&nbsp; At stop number nine a white-throated
 sparrow went through it's full call.&nbsp; At the last stop I heard a call=
 twice, which I was positive was a long-eared owl.&nbsp; It was identical t=
o one of the 35 calls that this owl makes.&nbsp; A call that I have on my p=
lay-back for long-eared.&nbsp;&nbsp;I even had it written
 in as a long-eared owl. Embarrassingly, it turned out to be a coyote so th=
e long-eared owl was scratched.&nbsp; Coyotes were heard at three or four l=
ocations across this route.&nbsp;</p>

--_000_BLUPR11MB04683F2E3363DBE7805FB326B59B0BLUPR11MB0468namp_--