[NatureNS] new arrivals Wolfville Ridge

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 21:35:50 -0300

Wed May 2 :   two Tree Swallows seen on overhead wires near the Wolfville
Ridge Stile Park.

                      Today (Sun) a pair were seen flying over the field
across from our house.

Wed May 2:    pair Chipping Sparrows under our feeders.

Today (May 6) : mid-afternoon a male Hummingbird arrived, heading straight
to our awaiting feeder.

                                    (I believe this is earliest hummingbird
arrival record for us)

                      - a bright male White-throated Sparrow turned up in
our back yard.

Bernard Forsythe reports an Ovenbird on his property today. He added he has
been hearing winter wrens in quite a few places, and Blue-headed Vireos and
Hermit Thrushes, as he checks his many owl  nest boxes, and the progress of
'his' Barred Owl families.  He is very disappointed that there will not be
any resident owl family on his own property this year. The female failed to
show any interest in 'setting up home'. The other nest box near us (about a
km from Bernard's ) has failed to materialize due to raccoons taking over
the nest box. As a result this will be the first year for him that no Barred
Owls are nesting in his boxes on the Ridge Rd. Very sad for him.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

   Wolfville