Re[2]: [NatureNS] Dog-strangling vine in Nova Scotia: ANY FURTHER

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 14:58:00 +0000
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;&gt;      As a general rule of th
--000000000000f7ed9d056b9ee5d7

I hear you Bev, though the best care that we could give flora and fauna
would be to fix forestry and enforce wetland regulations.
Right now we do not understand that non native species are part of nature.
We excuse ourselves but like us species move and are moved. There is no
difference betwern between a native and a non native. All our existing
communities are made of species that were wiped out of NS by glaciation
and then had to come back piece meal into the province over thousands of
years...all at different times.

So when we see something new, it most likely will fit on somewhere although
it may undermine something else. The fish communities are most threatened
but they continue to change and we can't predict the reordering. Trout will
hang in but its distribution will shift.

Naturalists are losing their lobby group power when they go on about
invasives. We can be given programs and funds to intervene in trying to
return a nature to a once state that we think is the right one. A lot of
resources and wasted time but government will be happy because they have us
doing something feeling useful and not interfering with land use
management....forestry....wetland protection from development...marine
protected areas.

We could do a lot of fighting windmills or we could understand that nature
is the whole thing and we need to protect processes and let nature do its
job...evolve and adjust.

Sorry to be an old harp but I'm seeing society being used here

&g