Re[4]: [NatureNS] Dog-strangling vine in Nova Scotia: ANY FURTHER RECORDS OF

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 22:45:49 +0000

&g
--------=_MB621B1FF4-4218-441C-8349-797F84A54396

Hi Nick & All,
     The BSLB was a fiasco from day one because, apparently no one on the=
=20
committee knew anything about trees. I saw similar symptoms that year in=20
Kentville (resin pegs but BSLB absent) and knew darn well that the=20
problem in PPP was insufficient water not BSLB. I wrote to the committee=20
several times, Nat. Res. Minister and never received any response.
     Their over confidence was a consequence of incorrect interpretation=20
of experimental results due to field inexperience. Logs cut after=20
beetles were active were incubated in a lab and BSLB emerged. Case=20
proven they thought; hardly.
     Insects may try to lay their eggs in healthy trees but they are=20
swamped with sap or resin. However if a tree is under water stress eggs=20
are not swamped.
     Spruce that summer in Kentville could not ooze resin when cut; they=20
very slowly grew an almost solid resin horizontal peg when wounded (so=20
stiff it did not run down as usual). A healthy fast growing Spruce not=20
under water stress will practically squirt resin when wounded.
     In like fashion, insects which bore into bark or wood do not=20
successfully attack healthy trees; contrary to Entomological lore. Cut a=20
healthy Ash on a warm calm day and within an hour (less if Ash cut a day=20
earlier are nearby) and it will be alive with small Ash weevils. And=20
within 24 hours will have many holes drilled. If under comparable=20
conditions a Spruce branch, tree or Pine tree is cut they rapidly=20
attract bark beetles in large numbers and on their heels Cleridae arrive=20
looking for supper.
     And let it be noted that BSLB was "contained" in PPP until a good=20
wind (Juan ?) generated a juicy swath of windfalls along which BSLB=20
could migrate.
     What is my point ? Problems along the lines of BSLB (improbably=20
suddenly becoming "aggressive" after decades of being lazy; flashing=20
light says "wrong wrong") would be more readily handled if the select=20
committee were more prepared to entertain information from non-committee=20
members.
Yt, DW, Kentville