[NatureNS] Acadian Flycatcher on Brier Island

From: Paul Murray <pwmurray.murray911@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 07:48:10 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;I bought&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;camcorder&amp;nbsp;many
--0000000000006396bb056cdd4545

Hi All,
Further to the discussion of pros and cons of bird ID via photographic
means and the theme that direct observation, experience and avian knowledge
are the preferred methods for bird ID and educational reasons:  I would
like to support the bird/nature watchers amongst us who rely on our cameras
to ID what we see in nature.

Some of us who rely heavily on our cameras for bird (and wildlife in
general) ID due to personal infirmities or handicaps probably would not be
bird watchers or observers of nature were it not for the benefit of the
camera and associated long lenses.  I envy those with good colour vision,
eyesight and hearing who can easily pick out a red bird from green foliage
or see directly all the various colour differences of a bird's plumage
within a species or, who are able to hear the high frequency song a bird
makes when no direct sighting is possible. For those of us who are colour
blind, have poor eyesight and/or defective hearing, the enjoyment of
looking for and identifying birds is impossible without a camera.  For us,
the camera and a long lens is mandatory if we want to enjoy the "sport" and
ID of a bird species after the fact via our photographs is usually the only
way we can identify what we think we observed - it might not have been a
bird but a log that looked like a heron from a distance. LOL

So, when you see us in the field with our cameras and long lenses, please
be mindful that the use of such equipment may be the only way that person
can take part in the hobby that you love.

Paul Murray
Dartmouth