[NatureNS] Acadian Flycatcher on Brier Island

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 23:14:33 +0000

&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/sp
--_000_DM3PR18MB0795C8BC3AB7E43540EAFE09B7940DM3PR18MB0795namp_

Hi All,
    I've been bird watching around my home since the late 90's and have a g=
ood knowledge of how to ID birds, but have almost never sent in a rare bird=
 submission without an accompanying photo.
     I bought  camcorder many years ago and think it can be just as good a =
tool as binoculars for identifying birds as well other species. A knowledge=
  of field marks, flight times, range and habitat is important but a good q=
uality photo or video (particularly with audio) is  better for ID purposes.
     There are a few tricks that make using a camera a better tool for ID'i=
ng birds none more important than positioning yourself so that the sun is b=
ehind you. I find a HD camcorder with a high power optical zoom and image s=
tabilization plus an ability to view and edit the video frame by frame is b=
est.
     On a related note a camera has replaced collecting for many, like me, =
who watch and report on Lepidoptera. In this case I've found - being the co=
ntrarian that I am - collecting to be a much better means of identification=
 for moths and butterflies.
       There is nothing wrong with being old school as a bird watcher but I=
 think we have to accept that most people aren't interested in learning the=
 finer points of bird identification; they just want to know what they saw.=
 That's why sites like iNaturalist have become so popular. All the best.
              Fritz McEvoy
                Sunrise valley, CB