[NatureNS] Re: Birding Today

From: Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 12:40:03 +0000

--_000_YQBPR01MB00203B21687B2EBE33B05F7B836B0YQBPR01MB0020CANP_

Angus's experience is all to familiar to most of us. But occasionally locat=
ion and circumstances lead to another kind of experience, as was the case t=
he same day, yesterday morning, May 22, on Brier Island. What follows is a =
slightly edited version of my notes (and eBird submission) describing that =
experience.

Today (Tuesday, May 22) produced the largest grounding of spring-migrating =
warblers that I have seen for many years on Brier Island. The wind was SW a=
nd the sky mainly clear all night. Then just at dawn the wind came up from =
the E with some low cloud and haze. This seems to  have brought down migran=
ts to the migrant-trap of the Northern Point thickets. By the time I arrive=
d there about 0600 every bush and tree had a bird in it, some gleaning, oth=
ers leaping vertically into the air after insects. Numbers were nearly impo=
ssible to estimate because of the activity, and because there was a constan=
t departure of birds from the feeding groups toward Long Island (to the NE)=
, but there were at least a thousand birds on the move when I arrived and h=
undreds had had flown off to the NE by the time I left at 0800. At first th=
e foraging group was dominated by Redstarts, including many males showing d=
elayed molt, and later by Magnolias and Northern Parulas. Numbers in the li=
st that follows are estimates of what I (and in some cases my fellow birder=
 Russel Crosby) saw and identified. They probably indicate relative abundan=
ces of the many birds we did not have a chance to identify. We were surpris=
ed to miss Cape May and Canada Warblers, also empid flycatchers, and to see=
 only one vireo. This was a warbler event almost completely, made up mainly=
 of species that I normally think of as early-season migrants.

Species estimates: Red-eyed Vireo-1; Ovenbird-1; Black-and-White Warbler-10=
; Common Yellowthroat-10; American Redstart-150; Northern Parula-50; Magnol=
ia Warbler-100; Bay-breasted Warbler-1; Yellow-Warbler-30; Chestnut-sided W=
arbler-6; Blackpoll Warbler-8 (including 2 females); Black-throated Warbler=
-1 female; Yellow-rumped Warbler-10; Black-throated Green Warbler-30; Wilso=
n's Warbler-10.

Eric L. Mills

Lower Rose Bay

Lunenburg Co., NS