[NatureNS] Birding Today

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 00:07:59 +0000

--_000_BN3PR08MB1970B1CBBC46A2F4F6BFC261FB940BN3PR08MB1970namp_

Decided this morning to check out a few sites on the  S. Mountain (Kings) f=
or late arrivals. Travelling W. on North River Road, the first site was fro=
m McGee Lake to the power line which was extremely quiet with only 2 Ovenbi=
rds singing!! (In the past this has been a choice area  with Least and Oliv=
e-sided Flycatchers,  a diversity of warblers (including Black-throated Blu=
e), Winter Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, etc). The next stop was the Granite =
Woods Road, a former woods road, which has been named since a cottage subdi=
vision has been underway for a few years. Again very quiet  except for the =
ever-present Ovenbirds and a few warblers at one point. I tried an abandone=
d woods road where I did hear a Swainson's Thrush, a FOY for me so the best=
 bird for the morning. Later in the afternoon a Broad-winged Hawk was soari=
ng in our area (Coldbrook) but was quickly discovered by a group of crows w=
hich harassed the hawk so much that it left the area heading west.

I expect such quiet birding mornings will become the norm as bird populatio=
ns continue to decline, a depressing thought.

Last evening I heard my first Veery calling along the RR bed in Coldbrook (=
KIngs).
Angus

--_000_BN3PR08MB1970B1CBBC46A2F4F6BFC261FB940BN3PR08MB1970namp_

<head>
1">
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Decided this morning to check out a few sites on the&nbsp; S. Mountain (Kin=
gs) for late arrivals. Travelling W. on North River Road, the first site wa=
s from McGee Lake to the power line which was extremely quiet with only 2 O=
venbirds singing!! (In the past this
 has been a choice area&nbsp; with Least and Olive-sided Flycatchers,&nbsp;=
 a diversity of warblers (including Black-throated Blue), Winter Wren, Ruby=
-crowned Kinglet, etc). The next stop was the Granite Woods Road, a former =
woods road, which has been named since a cottage
 subdivision has been underway for a few years. Again very quiet&nbsp; exce=
pt for the ever-present Ovenbirds and a few warblers at one point. I tried =
an abandoned woods road where I did hear a Swainson's Thrush, a FOY for me =
so the best bird for the morning. Later
 in the afternoon a Broad-winged Hawk was soaring in our area (Coldbrook) b=
ut was quickly discovered by a group of crows which harassed the hawk so mu=
ch that it left the area heading west.<br>
I expect such quiet birding mornings will become the norm as bird populatio=
ns continue to decline, a depressing thought.
Last evening I heard my first Veery calling along the RR bed in Coldbrook (=
KIngs).<br>
Angus<br>

--_000_BN3PR08MB1970B1CBBC46A2F4F6BFC261FB940BN3PR08MB1970namp_--