[NatureNS] Bald Eagles, Osprey, and other birds over Round Hill

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 12:27:34 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--000000000000396716056e0eec37

All,

I've had my place at Round Hill since summer 2010 and have never seen much
Bald Eagle activity until this past few months.  Now they pass over fairly
often -- usually flying upstream over Round Hill Brook.  Last night, while
scouting around my garden to photograph birds on my brookside property, I
happened to notice 4 eagles circling fairly high and a bit downstream of my
garden.  One of the eagles was swooping in an odd way, so I aimed my camera
at it.  When I checked the LCD screen later, I could see that the bird was
carrying something.  Once on the computer, I could see that the "something"
appears to be a gosling.  That would make sense as there was a lot of goose
honking just before the eagles showed up and I don't generally hear that
much from them lately.  I think the geese are along the shore of that
Annapolis River as Belle Isle Marsh is not far off.  Anyhow, it's just a
small image cropped down as the eagles were pretty high up as they went
over, heading upstream toward the South Range.  I am guessing that they
must nest somewhere up there as they seem to go by heading south in the
evening.  This link probably works even if you aren't a contributor to
iNaturalist.
https://inaturalist.ca/observations/13201541

There are Osprey that nest upstream on the brook as well -- on the power
line corridor above Round Hill Cemetery.  There has been a nest up there
for years according to a neighbour.  I see the Osprey flying over the brook
quite frequently as well.  Last week, I saw one with what appeared to be a
snake -- it seemed too long and skinny to be an eel.  A few days before,
the Osprey flew over my yard with what looked to be a muskrat.  After
seeing what seemed to me to be unusual prey, I looked for references to
prey and did find a reference to muskrat, snakes, and quite a number of
other prey items beyond fish.  Quite interesting.

There are still several Turkey Vultures that cruise over the area and I've
been seeing Great Blue Heron flying quite low over my yard as well.
Red-tailed Hawks occasionally, and the 2 Sandhill Cranes mentioned in a
post recently.  The brook seems to be a riparian highway for bird traffic.

The yard bird list is getting pretty long too.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS

--000000000000396716056e0eec37

l since summer 2010 and have never seen much Bald Eagle activity until this=
 past few months.=C2=A0 Now they pass over fairly often -- usually flying u=
pstream over Round Hill Brook.=C2=A0 Last night, while scouting around my g=
arden to photograph birds on my brookside property, I happened to notice 4 =
eagles circling fairly high and a bit downstream of my garden.=C2=A0 One of=
 the eagles was swooping in an odd way, so I aimed my camera at it.=C2=A0 W=
hen I checked the LCD screen later, I could see that the bird was carrying =
something.=C2=A0 Once on the computer, I could see that the &quot;something=
&quot; appears to be a gosling.=C2=A0 That would make sense as there was a =
lot of goose honking just before the eagles showed up and I don&#39;t gener=
ally hear that much from them lately.=C2=A0 I think the geese are along the=
 shore of that Annapolis River as Belle Isle Marsh is not far off.=C2=A0 An=
yhow, it&#39;s just a small image cropped down as the eagles were pretty hi=
gh up as they went over, heading upstream toward the South Range.=C2=A0 I a=
m guessing that they must nest somewhere up there as they seem to go by hea=
ding south in the evening.=C2=A0 This link probably works even if you aren&=
#39;t a contributor to iNaturalist.</div><div><a href=3D"https://inaturalis=
t.ca/observations/13201541">https://inaturalist.ca/observations/13201541</a=
 brook as well -- on the power line corridor above Round Hill Cemetery.=C2=
=A0 There has been a nest up there for years according to a neighbour.=C2=
=A0 I see the Osprey flying over the brook quite frequently as well.=C2=A0 =
Last week, I saw one with what appeared to be a snake -- it seemed too long=
 and skinny to be an eel.=C2=A0 A few days before, the Osprey flew over my =
yard with what looked to be a muskrat.=C2=A0 After seeing what seemed to me=
 to be unusual prey, I looked for references to prey and did find a referen=
ce to muskrat, snakes, and quite a number of other prey items beyond fish.=
Turkey Vultures that cruise over the area and I&#39;ve been seeing Great Bl=
ue Heron flying quite low over my yard as well.=C2=A0 Red-tailed Hawks occa=
sionally, and the 2 Sandhill Cranes mentioned in a post recently.=C2=A0 The=
 brook seems to be a riparian highway for bird traffic. =C2=A0</div><div><b=

--000000000000396716056e0eec37--